Roupell Street EF School Development Horror

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 30 July 2015 11.58am
Has everyone seen what the EF school are proposing to do to Roupell Street?
Take a look - they are planning to close off the courtyard with this horror.

Anyone who loves Roupell Street as it is please voice your concern to Lambeth Council planning

Got to: http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/
Enter reference: 15/03846/FUL

Any help opposing this development would be much appreciated!

Thursday 30 July 2015 12.18pm
I think WCDG are taking this up, possibly with legal advice
Thursday 30 July 2015 12.58pm
Not to your taste, obviously. It is a bit much calling it a horror, though.

I rather like it. It would be a welcome relief to the relentless monotony of over rated, over priced, poorly built terraces that is the conservation area.
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.05pm
It's awful! I went to the school when it was St Andrews and St Johns and was there when it closed down in 1978/9 we were on the Andrew Gardeners 6 o clock news programme on ITV

Isn't it a listed building still? Click this link for listed building website entry

And another...link...

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.14pm
what makes you say poorly built? had a house there for 7 years and think they are pretty solid
Thursday 30 July 2015 4.01pm
I don't think it looks that bad.
Thursday 30 July 2015 4.51pm
It truly is a horror of design and completely incongruous in all senses of the word.
St. Andrew's school - in my view - is much the best and most attractive feature on Roupell Street and is the only memorable building there the rest of the street seems to consist of 2up/2down Victorian terraced houses which would not be allowed to be built today.
I thought the residents believed the houses are poorly built and used that argument to have heavy traffic banned from Roupell especially HGVs in case the vibrations made the houses collapse.
I went to St. Andrew's in the 1940's when the courtyard had a block of lavatories or a shelter of some sort and therein and the removal of that and the opening up of the courtyard was a great improvement and still is and should not be
destroyed by noughts and crosses layouts.
Thursday 30 July 2015 5.05pm
Looks lovely

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 31 July 2015 4.42pm
It's really quite awful. It doesn't seem to fit in in any shape or form. The pointed bits are a different shape to the pointed bits of the school windows. If the bricks are modern made then they will neither fit in with the bricks of the houses, or the school. I will check the planning application and probably put in an objection to this design; I can't think of any reason to object to extending the building though.
Friday 31 July 2015 5.09pm
I've looked at the plan. I'm really not sure why the architects thought that zinc cladding on the outside of the building is a suitable material to be used in Roupell Street, so I have put in a brief objection. On materials alone, this application should not be accepted; I just hope the planning team understand how much people like Roupell Street just the way it is.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: