Druid Street market a "Living Hell" exaggeration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Thursday 30 July 2015 1.06pm
There is a story in this week's Southwark News, titled "Market is a living hell" about some residents from the Arnold Estate (there are five in the photo) having a protest against the Druid Street market.

"Living Hell" is a slight exaggeration if you ask me... I dont think people selling upmarket food on the street next to your estate is comparable to say, living in a migrant camp in Calais. And I dont remember there being any protest against outdoor drinkers from the Marquis of Wellington. I suspect a slight bit of inverse snobbery.

I do understand how drinkers might be seen to be a problem. I've never seen any hassle from the crowds that go there, but Anspach & Hobday should possibly think about moving to a place with a bigger arch with more indoor seating, or to a place like the FourPure brewery that is not directly fronted by residential units.

I think the new market is good, long may it flourish. I think it's pretty shallow and petty of people to complain about something like this.

Further on in the same paper, is a story called "The Magnificent Seven" which documents one person's journey from Fourpure northwards to the Marigold, taking in all the breweries along the way. It mentions some signs put up by the Arnold Estate residents, which say "No To Druid Street Market". Quote:

"Not very community spirited I thought. These were just happy, boisterous people out having a good time with no hint of trouble at any of the places I had visited."
Thursday 30 July 2015 1.12pm
Hi Kevin - I suspect the underlying issue is embedded in your analysis...

"I dont remember there being any protest against outdoor drinkers from the Marquis of Wellington"

If you move next to a pub - you expect that type of noise.

"These were just happy, boisterous people out having a good time"

If you live in the flats - you moved into a generally quiet area. You now have to tolerate the loud drinkers on a Saturday.
Thursday 30 July 2015 1.17pm
Kevin, with the greatest respect, this is a bit rich. You were the first to moan/whinge about kids using the Spa Park for something which it is intended - recreation and fun.

Lest it has escaped your attention, the Arnold Estate is, well, a residential estate. These railway arches have long been used for commercial purposes - mechanics, car/van rental, warehouses. The crowds now congregate on the Druid Street making loud noise on a Saturday - I have witnessed it - and it seems to be getting later and later. As, I think, our esteemed website editor noted recently, he too had observed something similar. I stand to be corrected. There seems to have been a unilateral change of use for these arches from industrial use.

What is wrong with residents of the Arnold Estate saying that the noise is causing hell in those circumstances? I would remind you that actually the Marquis is physically some way from the vast majority of the people complaining.

As for your comment that there are five people complaining, I can confirm there are many more people affected and complaining. Just because the News showed a picture of five residents does not mean they are the only complainants.

Your post exudes outward snobbery to people whom you consider to be below you. I suggest this thing is moved to Spa Park for you to put up with!
Thursday 30 July 2015 1.41pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Kevin, with the greatest respect, this is a bit rich. You were the first to moan/whinge about kids using the Spa Park for something which it is intended - recreation and fun.

An illegal rave in a park is not comparable to a food market endorsed and sponsored by a local council, grow up. Drunken adults inhaling nitrous oxide balloons are not "kids".

Gavin Smith wrote:
I can confirm there are many more people affected and complaining.

How do you confirm this exactly? By typing those words out on this forum? I can confirm there are many, many more people who favour this market than are opposed to it, by the amount of people that attend it every week.

@BSBloke The Marquis of Wellington is right across the road from Anspach and Hobday. They are practically the same location.
Thursday 30 July 2015 1.53pm
Kevin, you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. I'm not affected by the noise, living now as I do half a mile away from it, but in any event it's not for me to substantiate the complaint.

Using your analogy, which is a bit pointless, there were quite clearly more people in favour of an "illegal rave" than against by virtue of the amount of people attending it.

You haven't answered the point. If the "market" were to be located in Spa Park, with all of the noise and disruption associated with it, or better still 100 feet away from your window and those of your neighbours, would you be perfectly accepting of it? I don't think so.

Finally, and I am not suggesting one way or the other as I do not know, how is the market "sponsored" by the local council? Do tell.
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.00pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Using your analogy, which is a bit pointless, there were quite clearly more people in favour of an "illegal rave" than against by virtue of the amount of people attending it.

It was meant to be a pointless point, to mirror yours - you obviously missed my intention about you making a statement that you could "confirm" something, without confirming it in any way whatsoever.

Gavin Smith wrote:
You haven't answered the point. If the "market" were to be located in Spa Park, with all of the noise and disruption associated with it, or better still 100 feet away from your window and those of your neighbours, would you be perfectly accepting of it? I don't think so.

You think wrong. I'd be completely fine with a food market on my street.

Gavin Smith wrote:
Finally, and I am not suggesting one way or the other as I do not know, how is the market "sponsored" by the local council? Do tell.

Yes I will "do tell". I can confirm (see what I did there Gavin?) that this is a market sponsored by the local council, from Councillor Darren Merrill of Southwark Council, who is the cabinet member for the environment and public realm. Quote: "Druid Street market, one of the Council's High Street Challenge funded projects, brings together businesses to boost the local economy for the benefit of residents and employers".
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.01pm
And IIRC, they got a grant from Southwark to set it up.
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.12pm
Thanks for confirming! I stand by all I have said. The issue here isn't so much a "food market" - though it is questionable whether that is what it is - but rather the resultant disruption and disturbance to residents who have lived here for years and years. As someone who doesn't live there, it is "pretty shallow and petty" of you to attempt to discredit those directly affected.
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.18pm
Hang on. Have you actually been to it? It only opened on 4th July. The vendors sell food there. I dont know how you think it is "questionable" that it's a food market.
Thursday 30 July 2015 2.30pm
No, I've not been specifically to visit it but have walked past whilst it's been going on to witness crowds of people drinking on the street and making noise. It's not really my sort of thing. However, it looked more like a beer fest.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: