Oh Dear , Globe Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 6 August 2015 1.54pm
Yesterday while cycling in Trinity Street , I saw a grey Mercedes turning into Globe street .
The Driver drove to the end of the street to the junction of Gt Dover street and then turned right into Gt Dover St.
Since the Cycle super Highway has almost been completed on this street , it now looks like it is okay for cars to drive down this street to the junction of Gt Dover St .
The driver must have mounted the curb to turn into Gt Dover Street .
Must admit this street does look a tad confusing .
Just a side note , while altering this street they took away a newly planted tree in the centre of the street, Gt Dover st end and replaced it with a squared tarmac space, poor show, please put back the tree!
Thursday 6 August 2015 3.19pm
The whole project on Globe Street is barmy, imho.

It was already blocked off for traffic other than cycles, and appeared to be working well, and, as you say, there was that perfectly good tree at the end of the road (quite a clear sign that cars shouldn't be there).

They blocked off the road for quite a long time in order to do expensive-looking works that haven't done anything except make it more likely that motorbikes will now feel tempted to use the cycle paths. Oh, and they've taken down the tree. Good work Southwark!

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 7 August 2015 4.59pm
It is true. Since the alterations this has turned in to a cut through for cars. There's a white Mercedes (coincidence?) that uses it to get through to Trinity St and the new flats. He mounts the pavement in Gt Dover St where the crossing has been widened, cuts across the corner and then drives along the pavement and new widened cycle lane. In this way he doesn't risk having to drive over the raise concreted bit in the middle where the tree was. I reported the problem to Southwark Council last week but am still awaiting a reply or any sight of any remedial action. New signs and bollards would help.
Zoe
Saturday 8 August 2015 7.57am
I think this needs to raised with a local councillor as it sounds quite dangerous. Also, not removing trees should be a basic principle.
Saturday 8 August 2015 8.22am
The original plan, available at http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/3889/quietways_waterloo_to_greenwich_proposal_drawings

(click on Site J)

shows a row of trees down the central reservation - which is presumably why it's been left as earth, ready for planting. (But I'm not sure how closely the completed works reflect the plan as proposed otherwise.)

Trees won't stop cars, however.
Saturday 8 August 2015 10.45am
I've just had a look at Globe Street. The work is still unfinished. Road markings are incomplete and at present there are effectively no traffic signs. From the south there are as yet no 'no entry' or 'cycles only' signs. At the north end there is one 'no entry' sign, a relic of the old layout, but it's so positioned as to be pretty well invisible to west-bound traffic on Great Dover Street - and there's not even a 'no left turn' sign on the traffic lights.

So the Mercedes driver, if stopped, might claim that unless something is visibly prohibited it must be presumed to be perfectly legal - and put in a claim against the Council for damage to his suspension from being forced to mount the kerb.

Obviously temporary signs should have been put up, but shall we wait until the project is complete before discussing whether it's an improvement or not?

I don't know what can be done about motorbikes - wherever there's room for a bicycle (and remember this 'Quietway' is designed to be accessible for all shapes and sizes of bicycle/tricycle and all levels of cycling ability) a determined motorcyclist can probably get through - particularly when delivering pizza.
Monday 10 August 2015 9.22am
A scrap metal van was also seen to mount the pavement from Great Dover St. in order to drive into Globe St.. so it's happening in both directions.
Monday 10 August 2015 4.23pm
Hi John C, Thanks for the link through to the plans. Very useful and interesting. The trees in the middle are no obstruction for cars as the cycle lanes at the junction with Great Dover Street are much enlarged in width. Also because the pavement for the pedestrian crossing on Dover St have been lowered, it is here that traffic is mounting the pavement to then cut across the pavement corner and into Globe St. Thus avoiding all of the raised central reservation work. Driving along the pavement would surely make it illegal wouldn't? Anyone know an email address for reporting such issues to TFL?
Tuesday 11 August 2015 10.10am
REJM wrote:
Hi John C, Thanks for the link through to the plans. Very useful and interesting. The trees in the middle are no obstruction for cars as the cycle lanes at the junction with Great Dover Street are much enlarged in width. Also because the pavement for the pedestrian crossing on Dover St have been lowered, it is here that traffic is mounting the pavement to then cut across the pavement corner and into Globe St. Thus avoiding all of the raised central reservation work. Driving along the pavement would surely make it illegal wouldn't? Anyone know an email address for reporting such issues to TFL?

Globe Street is Southwark Council's responsibility. But I assume TfL is responsible for the (missing) 'No left turn' sign on the westbound traffic lights on Great Dover Street. The sooner the two can get together and erect the traffic signs the better! Most road users are reasonably law-abiding - unless there's a chance to get away with it and plead ignorance because there were no signs prohibiting it - so I suspect the problem will resolve itself (except for the occasional motorbike) once the road markings are complete and the signs in place.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 3.36pm
John C wrote:
REJM wrote:

Globe Street is Southwark Council's responsibility. But I assume TfL is responsible for the (missing) 'No left turn' sign on the westbound traffic lights on Great Dover Street. The sooner the two can get together and erect the traffic signs the better! Most road users are reasonably law-abiding - unless there's a chance to get away with it and plead ignorance because there were no signs prohibiting it - so I suspect the problem will resolve itself (except for the occasional motorbike) once the road markings are complete and the signs in place.

Although the road markings are still incomplete, there is now a 'No entry/except cyclists' sign facing traffic approaching from Trinity Street, and there IS a 'No left turn' sign for traffic approaching the corner westbound on Great Dover Street - not on the traffic lights but on a pole just before the lights. So any motorist driving in the cycle tracks in the northern part of Globe Street, whether or not their wheels are on the pavement, is knowingly breaking the law.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: