The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 7 August 2015 8.54am
It would seem that there is a planning application in to demolish the Glad pub and replace it with a 10 storey building.
This would be a real shame as this is a really colourful pub with great atmosphere and great beer. This would be an enormous loss to SE1.
Planning application number is

15/AP/3137 on the Southwark site
Friday 7 August 2015 9.02am
Is it listed as a "Community Asset"?
If not, it needs to be!
Saturday 8 August 2015 8.31am
The Glad as in the Gladstone on Lant street?
Saturday 8 August 2015 10.34am
I believe it is the one in Lant Street
Saturday 8 August 2015 10.36am
It would be an awful loss, lovely pub, welcoming, good food and drink and great music. I've filed an objection. Thanks for the heads up
http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do;jsessionid=D7F906184AD6DC715BDB60BD2A2510D1?action=firstPage
Saturday 8 August 2015 12.27pm
[quote alisonanne@live.co.uk]It would be an awful loss, lovely pub, welcoming, good food and drink and great music. I've filed an objection.

I've never submitted an objection to a planning application before. On the southwark site it says any comments will be made available online. Did you object without a comment as the site is currently saying there are 0 comments? Sorry I'm just checking I'm understanding the process.
Saturday 8 August 2015 1.13pm
Hi beetroot
I did leave a comment, but perhaps comments have to be moderated in case of bad language etc. I doubt there is anyone in the planning department at the weekend so it may not appear until Monday.
Saturday 8 August 2015 1.35pm
alisonanne@live.co.uk wrote:
Hi beetroot
I did leave a comment, but perhaps comments have to be moderated in case of bad language etc. I doubt there is anyone in the planning department at the weekend so it may not appear until Monday.

You're correct that the comments are monitored before posting and nothing will appear online until the monitoring has been completed. I note that the application is not yet validated, so the statutory consultation period has yet to begin; however, one may submit comments nonetheless. If I were to comment on the application, I would raise several points: 1) loss of unlisted heritage asset and significant harm to the immediate local context; 2) unacceptable height and not a point of landmark significance justifying a tall building; 3) Design - failure to deliver significant improvements to the public realm, poor quality of design and detailed design (materials), incongruous appearance within the local scene; 4) lack of affordable housing; and 5) unacceptable impact and harm in important local views (take your pick!).

FORMER HEAD OF DM
Saturday 8 August 2015 10.30pm
I have sent a short objection to this proposal. I find it astonishing that applicants can even think of putting forward such designs. A quick look at the relevant documents immediately brings to mind the wholesale destruction of inner city pre-war buildings and their replacement with ugly high-rises in the 60s.
On a more personal note I also remember when the Gladstone was a friendly and welcoming gay pub and I would be very sad to see its loss. Please do what you can to stop its destruction.
Monday 10 August 2015 8.11am
I am also sad to hear of this planning application. I also will be registering my objections as yet again we loose a valuable community asset to a block of over priced flats.

I love that pub, it has great live music and a fab atmosphere. Is there no way to get it listed? I know that the Lord Clyde is and the building must be equally as old.

C
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: