The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Tuesday 21 February 2017 2.40pm
From the article on main page:
"Entrepreneurs Megha Khanna, Gaurav Khanna and Abhinav Saxena will reopen the pub under the name Pegz N “Frazes” at The Gladstone Arms.

The name refers to shots (or pegz) of alcohol and words (or "frazes") of reassurance shared between the three friends."

Glad it's being re-opened; bit sceptical about the new name.
Anyone know when it's opening its doors?
Tuesday 21 February 2017 4.09pm
"Megha Khanna said: “We wanted to create a brand that provides people with a unique service, to preserve the heritage of London pubs and promote the local breweries" "

If they want to preserve the heritage of London pubs, why change the name?
In certain circles, "The Gladstone Arms" is legendary

Just a thought
Tuesday 21 February 2017 5.15pm
JayBee wrote:
"Megha Khanna said: “We wanted to create a brand that provides people with a unique service, to preserve the heritage of London pubs and promote the local breweries" "
If they want to preserve the heritage of London pubs, why change the name?
In certain circles, "The Gladstone Arms" is legendary

Just a thought

Agreed. For what it's worth, I think they have overlooked the value of at least calling it 'The Glad', unless they are looking to discourage the 'certain circles' from returning. Unfortunately, I imagine it will just be referred to as 'Pegz'.
Tuesday 21 February 2017 6.36pm
As The Glad actually refers to a PM it actually means something and should remain so. If they change the name it will end up with something pointless and meaningless, with no relation to the area. They did that with the Plough at the top of Dulwich, opposite the Library, so this habit has to be watched.
Thursday 23 February 2017 10.36am
Judging from their online profiles I doubt they have much real interest in the locale. This looks like a straight business opportunity without much sensitivity to the areas history. Cue a wine bar.
Thursday 23 February 2017 11.10am
I guess it's their prerogative to do whatever they want with it. They've paid their money. I assume the opportunity was open to anyone else who wanted to take the place on.

Time will tell if they a make a success of it or or not.
Monday 27 February 2017 10.04am
Very pleased that The Glad was saved and is about to re-open but the new name hardly trips off the tongue and sounds more like a cocktail bar in the offing. There was great support for keeping the Glad because it represented something to the area. Sorry new owners but don't think you have got this quite right.
Monday 27 February 2017 11.19am
I doubt they have much knowledge of the history of the area else they might have considered a title more sensitive to it. It's pretty ugly but yes, they've paid their money I guess they can call it what they like.

In the era of 140 characters or less, who uses proper words anyway? It fits modern times.

'I'm gassed, mon. We go Pegz n Frazes, yeah?'

"When I roll through my endz in my Toyota Prius, all the honies be checkin' ya boy." Tinchy Sryder - Rely on Me

Allow man.
Monday 27 February 2017 11.49am
I think the new name is absolutely, utterly ridiculous. That's probably the mildest way I can describe what I think of it. The deliberate mis-spelling makes me cringe.

"We wanted to create a brand..." If we have to use marketing terminology, surely The Glad already had a perfectly good 'brand'?

"We also wanted to create a place where guests can experience a winning combination of great drinks, live music and buzzing atmosphere". Then keep the pub as it was instead of trying to reinvent it, because it already had a winning combination.

I'm not opposed to change per se. But The Glad was a treasure, and it's one of a sadly-disappearing breed. Small live music venues are precious. If the new owners really want to preserve the heritage of London pubs, I wish they'd just give us back The Glad. 'Pegz N Frazes' doesn't sound like the preservation of anything I recognise - it sounds more like a hip-hop venue than a back-street London boozer.
Monday 27 February 2017 10.07pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I doubt they have much knowledge of the history of the area else they might have considered a title more sensitive to it. It's pretty ugly but yes, they've paid their money I guess they can call it what they like.
In the era of 140 characters or less, who uses proper words anyway? It fits modern times.

'I'm gassed, mon. We go Pegz n Frazes, yeah?'

"When I roll through my endz in my Toyota Prius, all the honies be checkin' ya boy." Tinchy Sryder - Rely on Me

Allow man.

You're wasted on here :)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: