The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Monday 27 February 2017 11.39pm
Yes, why change the name anyway, but what the heck does it mean, what's the reference to the area?
Tuesday 28 February 2017 9.53am
Here you go:

'Megha Khanna, 30, Gaurav Khanna, 25, and Abhinav Saxena, 32, say they are committed to keeping the integrity of The Glad, while also adding their own twist.
Throughout failed relationships, job layoffs, hard days, trials, and tribulations, the three best friends cheered each other up with shots (or pegz) of alcohol and phrases (or “frazes”) of reassurance in setting up their dream venture – and so the concept was born.
“We wanted to create a brand that provides people with a unique service, to preserve the heritage of London pubs and promote the local breweries,” Megha explained.
“We also wanted to create a place where guests can experience a winning combination of great drinks, live music and buzzing atmosphere.”
With over ten years’ experience in the hospitality sector, the founders want to recreate the space where friends can kick back, relax and share a tipple in a comfortable and cosy environment.
The pub will be teaming up with breweries in the area to serve the best of British lager, real ale and craft beers.
Exotic cocktails infused with local ingredients and globally inspired flavours will also be on offer.
'

Southwark News, 23rd Feb.
Tuesday 28 February 2017 10.29am
Tolstoy wrote:

...Exotic cocktails infused with local ingredients...'

Local ingredients? Leftovers from Chicken Cottage I presume.
There are herbs in Mint Street park but they're mostly watered by tramps p!ss so will need a good wash
Tuesday 28 February 2017 10.42am
Haha - that made me laugh. My first thought on reading that was 'what local ingredients'? After PeteStaples' colourful description of the possible source of any herbs, I think I'll give that one a miss!
Tuesday 28 February 2017 1.09pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Here you go:
'Megha Khanna, 30, Gaurav Khanna, 25, and Abhinav Saxena, 32, say they are committed to keeping the integrity of The Glad, while also adding their own twist.
Throughout failed relationships, job layoffs, hard days, trials, and tribulations, the three best friends cheered each other up with shots (or pegz) of alcohol and phrases (or “frazes”) of reassurance in setting up their dream venture – and so the concept was born...
'

Thanks, Tolstoy. It's an ugly 'fraze' and they clearly haven't thought about how language works in London. First it's going to get shortened to 'Pegz', then people will spell it 'Peg's', and everyone's going to expect to find a landlady called Peggy - and then (even if the prices don't warrant it) it's going to be known locally as 'Arm and a leg's'.
Tuesday 28 February 2017 2.03pm
Its really sad that these guys have made an investment to open a previously closed business and all they get is negative comments on this site. They haven't done anything wrong, just taken a risk with their own money. If people don't like the name, the philosophy or whatever it turns out to be...then just avoid the place.

I was always told that if you don't have anything kind to say, then don't say anything at all.

I would understand if these new owners were crooks or had done something wrong. In which case I would be on here moaning about them too.

The decent thing to do would be to give them a chance. if its not your cup of tea then don't go. From their marketing blurb, it doesn't sound like it will be for me. But there are plenty of other places in the area that are.

Why be nasty.....
Tuesday 28 February 2017 2.19pm
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
Its really sad that these guys have made an investment to open a previously closed business and all they get is negative comments on this site. They haven't done anything wrong, just taken a risk with their own money. If people don't like the name, the philosophy or whatever it turns out to be...then just avoid the place.
I was always told that if you don't have anything kind to say, then don't say anything at all.

I would understand if these new owners were crooks or had done something wrong. In which case I would be on here moaning about them too.

The decent thing to do would be to give them a chance. if its not your cup of tea then don't go. From their marketing blurb, it doesn't sound like it will be for me. But there are plenty of other places in the area that are.

Why be nasty.....

Sorry, Luke - they have done something wrong - they've chosen a bloody stupid name that will bring down the tone of the neighbourhood.
Tuesday 28 February 2017 6.06pm
If you feel that strongly about the name John C, then fair enough. I find their choice of name strange, but not don't feel strongly about it, especially to the point where I think it lowers the tone of the surrounding area.
Tuesday 28 February 2017 10.55pm
PeteStaples wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:

...Exotic cocktails infused with local ingredients...'

Local ingredients? Leftovers from Chicken Cottage I presume.
There are herbs in Mint Street park but they're mostly watered by tramps p!ss so will need a good wash
Crumbs, that made me LOL! I thought the same :-)

Stupid name, but it might grow on us, as long as there isn't noise pollution and they keep at least one side of the road pathway clear!
Wednesday 1 March 2017 6.54am
Does anyone know what's going to happen to the mural on the side of the building which faces onto the main road? I hesitate to call it "iconic" but I regularly walk past and wonder? How will the new name be incorporated into a new mural (or "Muriel" as a friend of mine calls them)? Perhaps Tate Modern will come up with some ideas?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: