The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Wednesday 1 March 2017 9.35pm
Alberta Ally wrote:
Does anyone know what's going to happen to the mural on the side of the building which faces onto the main road? I hesitate to call it "iconic" but I regularly walk past and wonder? How will the new name be incorporated into a new mural (or "Muriel" as a friend of mine calls them)? Perhaps Tate Modern will come up with some ideas?

It is a very attractive piece of art: it would be a real shame to lose it.

Wednesday 1 March 2017 11.10pm
It's crap. Enbarrassingly crap. Wipe it off the beautiful lillte building. It was at it's best when it was the lovable gay pub.
Thursday 2 March 2017 12.24am
beetroot wrote:
It's crap. Enbarrassingly crap. Wipe it off the beautiful lillte building. It was at it's best when it was the lovable gay pub.

The mural appeared while it was a gay pub. I agree though, it's crap.
Friday 3 March 2017 6.56pm
I rather like it, it's a landmark. I think of it every time someone mentions the Gladstone.
Friday 3 March 2017 8.55pm
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:

It absolutely did not. It appeared when it stopped being a gay pub. It's a copy of the image on Filthy McNasty's near Angel, because it was the same people running it.
Friday 3 March 2017 10.00pm
beetroot wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:

It absolutely did not. It appeared when it stopped being a gay pub. It's a copy of the image on Filthy McNasty's near Angel, because it was the same people running it.

OK maybe you're right, it's just that it became "The glad" while it was a gay pub and there it is on the mural, which, incidentally, looks like the bloke running it when it was a gay pub. Coincidence.
Friday 3 March 2017 10.54pm
I think the new name is rather silly, even if just from a marketing point of view. It's about the owners rather than the users of the pub.
Friday 3 March 2017 11.17pm
The reason the new name doesn't make sense for a place which wants to sell beer (as the publicity says it does), is that a "peg" is a (mainly) Indian word for a measure of spirits.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 3 March 2017 11.22pm
They should have called it Pegz mount.
Saturday 18 March 2017 10.51pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9135?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Oh good, the new owners have dropped the idea of renaming The Glad as Pegz N "Frazes, seems they may be going with The Gladstone. Good luck to them as they seem to listen to local opinion - I hope it's a success.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: