The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10
Sunday 19 March 2017 6.17pm
Good news. Hope they remove the Filthy MacNasty's mural too. Anyone remember when it was a gay pub with the tiny little pub actually in two halves? If anyone has any pics from when the bar was in the centre it would be amazing to see them.

boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
It's crap. Enbarrassingly crap. Wipe it off the beautiful lillte building. It was at it's best when it was the lovable gay pub.

The mural appeared while it was a gay pub. I agree though, it's crap.

It absolutely did not. It appeared when it stopped being a gay pub. It's a copy of the image on Filthy McNasty's near Angel, because it was the same people running it.

OK maybe you're right, it's just that it became "The glad" while it was a gay pub and there it is on the mural, which, incidentally, looks like the bloke running it when it was a gay pub. Coincidence.

You are wrong. It looks nothing like either of the couple who ran it and it was listed as the Gladstone Arms in the gay papers up until it was taken over by Filthy MacNasty's, and the words 'The Glad' never appeared anywhere on the building till then.
Monday 20 March 2017 11.01am
It's good to see them be sensitive to criticism but it remains to be seen how well they move forward having thought such an awful name was cool.
Monday 20 March 2017 11.22am
beetroot wrote:
Good news. Hope they remove the Filthy MacNasty's mural too. Anyone remember when it was a gay pub with the tiny little pub actually in two halves? If anyone has any pics from when the bar was in the centre it would be amazing to see them.
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
It's crap. Enbarrassingly crap. Wipe it off the beautiful lillte building. It was at it's best when it was the lovable gay pub.

The mural appeared while it was a gay pub. I agree though, it's crap.

It absolutely did not. It appeared when it stopped being a gay pub. It's a copy of the image on Filthy McNasty's near Angel, because it was the same people running it.

OK maybe you're right, it's just that it became "The glad" while it was a gay pub and there it is on the mural, which, incidentally, looks like the bloke running it when it was a gay pub. Coincidence.

You are wrong. It looks nothing like either of the couple who ran it and it was listed as the Gladstone Arms in the gay papers up until it was taken over by Filthy MacNasty's, and the words 'The Glad' never appeared anywhere on the building till then.

I did a lot of work the bloke running it while it was a gay pub, the mural always reminded me of him, I don't feel the need to insert the prefix "lovable" when using the term "gay pub", it really wasn't.
Monday 20 March 2017 1.09pm
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Good news. Hope they remove the Filthy MacNasty's mural too. Anyone remember when it was a gay pub with the tiny little pub actually in two halves? If anyone has any pics from when the bar was in the centre it would be amazing to see them.
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
It's crap. Enbarrassingly crap. Wipe it off the beautiful lillte building. It was at it's best when it was the lovable gay pub.

The mural appeared while it was a gay pub. I agree though, it's crap.

It absolutely did not. It appeared when it stopped being a gay pub. It's a copy of the image on Filthy McNasty's near Angel, because it was the same people running it.

OK maybe you're right, it's just that it became "The glad" while it was a gay pub and there it is on the mural, which, incidentally, looks like the bloke running it when it was a gay pub. Coincidence.

You are wrong. It looks nothing like either of the couple who ran it and it was listed as the Gladstone Arms in the gay papers up until it was taken over by Filthy MacNasty's, and the words 'The Glad' never appeared anywhere on the building till then.

I did a lot of work the bloke running it while it was a gay pub, the mural always reminded me of him, I don't feel the need to insert the prefix "lovable" when using the term "gay pub", it really wasn't.

Where on Earth did that come from? Who mentioned calling it lovable? So this work you did. That was when the bar was in the centre of the pub was it? And what was the name of the 'bloke running it'?
Monday 20 March 2017 4.55pm
beetroot wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Good news. Hope they remove the Filthy MacNasty's mural too. Anyone remember when it was a gay pub with the tiny little pub actually in two halves? If anyone has any pics from when the bar was in the centre it would be amazing to see them.
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
beetroot wrote:
It's crap. Enbarrassingly crap. Wipe it off the beautiful lillte building. It was at it's best when it was the lovable gay pub.

The mural appeared while it was a gay pub. I agree though, it's crap.

It absolutely did not. It appeared when it stopped being a gay pub. It's a copy of the image on Filthy McNasty's near Angel, because it was the same people running it.

OK maybe you're right, it's just that it became "The glad" while it was a gay pub and there it is on the mural, which, incidentally, looks like the bloke running it when it was a gay pub. Coincidence.

You are wrong. It looks nothing like either of the couple who ran it and it was listed as the Gladstone Arms in the gay papers up until it was taken over by Filthy MacNasty's, and the words 'The Glad' never appeared anywhere on the building till then.

I did a lot of work the bloke running it while it was a gay pub, the mural always reminded me of him, I don't feel the need to insert the prefix "lovable" when using the term "gay pub", it really wasn't.

Where on Earth did that come from? Who mentioned calling it lovable? So this work you did. That was when the bar was in the centre of the pub was it? And what was the name of the 'bloke running it'?

You did.........

It's crap. Enbarrassingly crap. Wipe it off the beautiful lillte building. It was at it's best when it was the lovable gay pub.

I was a regular in the Townhouse now Libertines, it was run by two gay blokes, they were not partners other than business. I was asked to do some jobs in the Gladstone by one of the "boys", so I did, quite often. I genuinely can't remember the blokes name who ran the Gladstone, but there were a few times when I turned up with all my tools on a Saturday morning and was turned away and bunged a score, happy days. So no, I'm not a liar, and don't ask where that came from.

It wasn't a lovable gay pub, it was a gay pub, it's almost as if they're like the rest of us, like, normal....who knew?

EDIT and having just looked at the mural, I maintain, it looks like the bloke I dealt with.....so ner.
Monday 20 March 2017 6.39pm
boroughonian and beetroot - this argument ends here. Any further exchanges will be removed.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 21 March 2017 1.26am
Very pleased to hear they've dropped their chosen name. I thought the name The Glad was to
do with the 19th century PM William Ewart Gladstone, they say you learn something every day!
Don't know where their choice came from anyway!n Even with its context and reason, there's
0 wrong with the name The Glad - long may it live!
Tuesday 21 March 2017 9.11am
Stephanie Lodge wrote:
Very pleased to hear they've dropped their chosen name. I thought the name The Glad was to
do with the 19th century PM William Ewart Gladstone, they say you learn something every day!
Don't know where their choice came from anyway!n Even with its context and reason, there's
0 wrong with the name The Glad - long may it live!

Perhaps in commemoration of the Brexit vote it could be renamed 'The People's Will' - one of Gladstone's nicknames.
Friday 31 March 2017 7.18am
I see it's been occupied by squatters.
Monday 3 April 2017 1.25am
That's what happens to empty premises, and they always get 'redecorated', or if lucky 'improved' as some premises have. Premises are left empty for far too long!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: