"Blackfriars Circus"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Monday 10 August 2015 9.00am
It seems the massive Barratts development at the south end of Blackfriars Rd is to be called Blackfriars Circus.

Really? We already have a perfectly good circus there, St George's.

Oh, and starting prices for a one-bed flat are 510,000. Apparently, that's a "more affordable option"!

According to the site, launch date is September 2015. Interesting, as they've only just started the demolition. Or does that mean when you can buy off-plan?

Finally, City AM back in January reckoned: "This south-western corner of the City is renown for its art deco gems, such as neo-classical Unilever House and art nouveau Black Friar pub..." Appalling English, and geography!

*shakes head in despair*

Related news & features

Monday 10 August 2015 10.15am
Perhaps Barratt were reluctant to give it the name of one of their competitors?

http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/st-george
Monday 10 August 2015 12.22pm
La Martinet wrote:
According to the site, launch date is September 2015. Interesting, as they've only just started the demolition. Or does that mean when you can buy off-plan?

No doubt, and probably with heavy promotion to potential overseas markets. Got to get those reservation deposits in asap!

I suspect truthmonkey is right about the use of 'St Georges'.
Monday 10 August 2015 1.23pm
The advert is open to even more misinterpretation... its not correct to say:

"a one-bed flat are 510,000"

The advert says 1 bed suites, 1,2,3 bedroom apartments and penthouses from 510k. So its actually a studio starting from just over half a mil :-)

A terrific bargain if you ask me in this luxurious new (soon to be built?) development.
Monday 10 August 2015 4.02pm
Silly idea changing the name - all the identity is going.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 9.11am
Anyone know if there is any social housing? If so, I hope they have "poor doors", wouldn't want the wrong sort of people living there.

;-)
Tuesday 11 August 2015 10.49pm
There is no social housing. There is no affordable housing. There's not enough child play space; just a bit on the roof! Some of the windows in adjoining flats are so close together they will have frosted glass. The 'public realm' - if that's the correct term - is totally in the shade. Oh, and it seriously blocks the light in lots of neighbouring property. I wonder how bad a design a building has to be before Southwark Council say no.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.06pm
Karen I wrote:
There is no social housing. There is no affordable housing.
Karen, that's not correct. 24 per cent of the homes in the scheme are affordable housing (i.e. to be let at less than market rent, or sold on a shared ownership basis, etc).

And there may even be some new council homes too.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 4.09pm
I tend to agree with Karen's assessment that there will be no social housing and no affordable homes.
Dress it up as you will the rents will not be affordable in the real world. I believe that property developers and investors look for an annual return of between 7.5 - 10%, that means that the rent of a studio flat, really a bed-sitter, would have to be between 750 - 1000 per week.

If Southwark Council were stupid enough to buy from this development they couldn't afford to buy 16 studio flats at over 510,000 each for their 8 million.

I would suggest to Barrats that they call the development
"The Obelisk"
( they can pay me for giving them an original and memorable name), because that is what St. George's Circus used to be known as locally before some idiot decided that the Obelisk should be moved to Bedlam Park -now Geraldine Harmsworth Park I believe, and then moved it back again to its rightful place one mile from Westminster Palace Yard.
The Obelisk, what a fine upstanding name and none of the confusion of calling something Blackfriars Circus which isn't in Blackfriars.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 4.17pm
Sorry, I have such a bad memory and spend too much time moaning that the council accepts too many in lieu payments for affordable housing. I hadn't seen the news item about the council buying some of the flats; that's an interesting one isn't it? Just a spitting distance away and they could have built their own houses on the land they sold to Linden Homes.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: