"Blackfriars Circus"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Friday 5 February 2016 1.42am
Ivanhoe wrote:
There's probably a London Road in most towns...

No one is arguing about a block of flats being named "London Circus". My point was that "Blackfriars" is a much more marketable name than "St. Georges", and that it was understandble that it is being marketed thus.

I, personally, would prefer to refer to my flat as being "in Blackfriars", rather than "oh, it's in that area by Southwark tube station - not Bankside - but, no... not Elephant & Catle, it's north of that - kind of between London Bridge and Waterloo...", which is why I am OK with the area being given a nom de plume by local developeres - even if it is historically inaccurate. Being 'new' to the area (about 5 years), I would be completely fine with people thinking that the area of "Blackfriars" was centred around Blackfriars Road and the scores of office blocks called "Blackfriars X": there are, as you say, dozens of "London Road"s, but there is only one "Blackfriars Road".
Friday 5 February 2016 11.59am
DavidS wrote:
I, personally, would prefer to refer to my flat as being "in Blackfriars", rather than "oh, it's in that area by Southwark tube station - not Bankside - but, no... not Elephant & Catle, it's north of that - kind of between London Bridge and Waterloo...", which is why I am OK with the area being given a nom de plume by local developeres - .
I'm personally OK with people saying that my flat is in Monte Carlo.

The only problem is that it's NOT.

DavidS wrote:
even if it is historically inaccurate. .
It's not "historically" inaccurate. It's inaccurate in every sense of the word. In fact, "inaccurate" isn't even the right word for something that's completely incorrect.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 5 February 2016 1.56pm
Well let's just see where all these overseas investors will be wandering around when trying to locate their new property. Personally I just feel this is another step in the direction of kicking out the locals and destroying any sense of community we may have. A right 'circus' if ever I saw one.
Friday 5 February 2016 5.44pm
It's not really "completely incorrect" given how many people are using the word "Blackfriars" to denote the area. For a start, Berkeley called it "Blackfriars Circus" and not "Blackfriars Road Circus" so they seem to think "Blackfriars" is an acceptable name for this area that doesn't currently have a name. Then there's the people behind "One Blackfriars", the people who named the original old "Blackfriars Station", BARD (not BRARD!) campaigning for a "better Blackfriars", all the other businesses/offices up and down the street using "X Blackfriars" to denote their address...

And what exactly is wrong with the area known as "Blackfriars" expanding to encompass a new area that doesn't really have its own identity? Towns and villages grow and encompass new areas all the time and very few people jump up and down. I'm curious now as to your thoughts regarding "Bankside" and how that has grown to include Pocock Street and Nelson Square - why don't you go and tell everyone living there that it's completely incorrect?
Friday 5 February 2016 7.14pm
No, you're right.
I'm going to start writings address as Ivanhoe Towers, Monte Carlo, London SE1, and wait to see the change.
And if I get a few property developers to do the same, we'll be renamed in no time

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 5 February 2016 8.10pm
There is a precedent for all this - see the Wikipedia article about Clapham Junction station, which we all know (I hope) isn't in Clapham (but in Battersea):

'When the station was built, much of Battersea was the site of heavy industry while Clapham, a mile south-east of this point, was fashionable. The railway companies, to attract a middle- and upper-class clientele, seized the unindustrial parish calculating that being upon the slopes of Clapham's plateau would only re-inforce this distinction, leading to a long-lasting misunderstanding that the station is in Clapham. The railway companies were not alone in eschewing the name of Battersea; from the 1880s until the 1950s the imposing private houses forming the streets of the district were commonly recorded by property-owning residents as 'Clapham Common N. Side, London' and 'Clapham Common W. Side, London' despite being well away from from those park-side streets.'

(I think there's something wrong with the second sentence, but what can you expect from Wikipedia!)

Of course, Battersea is now fashionable, and the locals are trying to get the station name changed - presumably they don't like to be thought of as living 'up the junction'.

I remember years ago I met an Indian student who was lost in the City of London, looking for the India Office Library - at that time it was in Blackfriars Road. He'd been lost for some time, since he hadn't got used to the oddities of English street naming, by which 'Blackfriars Road' was on the opposite side of the river to Blackfriars. But I suppose it's no worse than the tourists who get off the tube at Borough station assuming it's next door to Borough Market.

But I am surprised that Blackfriars is thought of as a fashionable address!
Saturday 6 February 2016 12.21am
The property tycoons have to work hard to make it fashionable. That's also why most of the promotional material for recent big money developments spend a lot of time explaining how long it takes to get away from the area. See these examples

https://www.crestnicholson.com/valentineplace/?gclid=CjwKEAiArdG1BRCLvs_q-IObwxMSJACXbLtz3U-3PqpB6xZ6cSoXwqjnoRbB5WowPTo-S13PpTjyZRoCLnvw_wcB

Crest Nicholson wrote:
Ideally located just 0.3 miles away from Southwark underground station & Waterloo rail station, residents will also benefit from all the arts, food and cultural offerings from the Cut & the South Bank.

http://london.lindenhomes.co.uk/developments/london/the-residence-southwark/map-local-area

Linden Homes wrote:
The Residence marks the start of the lifestyle youíve been searching for with some of the capitalís most exhilarating buildings, restaurants, bars and arts venues in London right just moments away.
Easily accessible to Londonís integrated transport network at Zone 1 Southwark station with connections to London key destinations for work and leisure are on your door step.

But also:

Linden Homes wrote:
Blackfriars is a newly fashionable area close to the South Bank, River Thames and Southwark.

http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/new-homes/london/southwark/one-blackfriars

Berkeley Homes wrote:
Creating a new focus on the banks of the River Thames among the capital's famous landmarks with views from the east sweeping over the Shard, the dome of St Paul's and The Gherkin and west the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye. At the heart of the South Bank, it creates a gateway to the historic borough of Southwark, a fascinating blend of the capital's contemporary exuberance and ancient heritage.

I see Barratt's is not mentioning that one of the blocks will be social housing. Strange that. (actually it says "Affordable" on the Douglas Apartments, which will now be council)

http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/new-homes/greater-london/H625601-Blackfriars-circus/

But they also say you can get away very quick.

Barratt's wrote:
Blackfriars Road is the perfect central London location with transport and entertainment on your doorstep.
The famous Southbank is a short walk away, home to festivals, theatres, cinemas, visiting markets, shops and countless restaurants and bars. Closer to home, stroll to foodie heaven at Borough Market for world-renowned shopping, eating and drinking.

A short walk across the river and youíre in Londonís West End, home to hundreds of bars, clubs, restaurants and some of the world's most famous theatres.
Saturday 6 February 2016 3.05pm
John C wrote:
Of course, Battersea is now fashionable, and the locals are trying to get the station name changed - presumably they don't like to be thought of as living 'up the junction'.

Hands up anyone who thinks that the locals will take a leaf out of some estate agents books, and ask for the station to be re-named South Chelsea?
Monday 8 February 2016 8.22am
Debrajoan wrote:
John C wrote:

Hands up anyone who thinks that the locals will take a leaf out of some estate agents books, and ask for the station to be re-named South Chelsea?

Sadly, with the prices and their marketing strategy, it's more likely to be called Little Dubai.
Friday 7 April 2017 12.04pm
Tesco Express to open at Blackfriars Circus:
http://app.southwark.gov.uk/Licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=858286

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network