"Blackfriars Circus"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7
Thursday 27 April 2017 6.25pm
They could have gone to the Feminist library across the circus to get some inspiration...
Friday 23 February 2018 12.30pm
When I saw this article last year - http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9170 - I assumed that the shop would be in the unit looking out over the Circus (shown as Good Foods in the picture on the article).

Walking past last night, I noticed that Tesco Express branding was going on an apparently tiny unit on the ground floor of the Dibdin Apartments (the Council owned block next door).

So, does anyone know what's going in the units that look out onto the Circus?
Tuesday 27 February 2018 1.51pm
No idea what's going there but they are advertising 'Retail restaurant' space, so perhaps there isn't a tenant yet. I'll be interested to see if anything flourishes on that corner; from old photos I know there was a pub and shops there years ago (pic here) but it's basically been wasteground all the time I've known it.

Also didn't realise that's where the Tesco was going either so thanks for the info! I walked past and the sign says it's opening tomorrow (weds 28th Feb). I also notice there's a new cashpoint next door, which is useful.

Yet another Tesco is a blow for the corner shop on Webber St / Blackfriars Rd though. They're friendly and helpful in there so I hope they don't get squeezed out.
Tuesday 6 March 2018 7.23pm
That Tesco seems to be aimed at residents, much more of a selection than the Sainsbury's down the road. They have an awful lot of discounted stuff in there of an evening, makes me wonder if it's a trial period and if we don't use it we lose it in it's current form.
Tuesday 6 March 2018 9.55pm
Love the new Tesco, and as Boroughonian says it's aimed at local people like me. It's been so handy since it opened. I've got a lot going on at home so it's fab just to pop round the corner and get all the stuff needed to cook proper meals. And also good for convenience food too when I'm being lazy.
I don't do Sainsburys at all. The Co Op in SBR is pricey and a nightmare to walk round, always full of boxes and stuff on the floor. But I still use Charlie's for my newspapers and all the other bits like topping up Oyster and buying greeting cards. He needs a co-member of staff in there!
Wednesday 7 March 2018 1.12am
I have to admit it's the best Tesco Express I've been in, agree it's got a better selection than the Sainsburys and is preferable to the Co-op assault course!
Monday 9 July 2018 7.39pm
Starbucks is going to open at Blackfriars Circus, a couple of doors down from Tesco.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 9 July 2018 11.22pm
Brilliant - a third coffee shop on Blackfriars Circus.

I suppose it might actually open at a time local residents with jobs can get to, unlike the other two coffee shops, but that doesn't make up for the facts that:
a) They engineer their finances to minimise the amount of tax paid in the places the occupy
b) The coffee tastes rubbish

The architect's photos showed glamorous, aspirational uses for these spaces. Surely they couldn't have been lying in order to get permission and sell their rabbit-hutches to people who don't actually know, nor have any intention of living in, the area.
Thursday 26 July 2018 3.15am
DebraG wrote:
Love the new Tesco, and as Boroughonian says it's aimed at local people like me. It's been so handy since it opened. I've got a lot going on at home so it's fab just to pop round the corner and get all the stuff needed to cook proper meals. And also good for convenience food too when I'm being lazy.
I don't do Sainsburys at all. The Co Op in SBR is pricey and a nightmare to walk round, always full of boxes and stuff on the floor. But I still use Charlie's for my newspapers and all the other bits like topping up Oyster and buying greeting cards. He needs a co-member of staff in there!

I really fee for them, a once bustling shop is now never busy. I am making a point of using them as much as I can now.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network