Anonymous cars hanging around in little side streets in the small hours

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 12 August 2015 4.08am
Is it Uber? It's been happening only in the past year or so, and increasingly.

Bog-standard saloons, average 3-6 years old, sit outside on a single yellow by around 1am, sometimes now four or five of them in a row. Mostly with the engine running, a lot of which are diesel though some are hybrid Toyota types.

Always just a sole occupant behind the wheel, some of whom at times take/make phone calls. Yet never a TfL minicab sticker on the back.

I'm a night owl but this is a presence that's also being inflicted on sleeping neighbours. I first noticed it at weekends; now it's becoming a midweek phenomenon too.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 9.04am
Engine running ? I think it is not legal to have engines running whilst stationary , it was a real problem where I live , I would go out and tell them to turn it off. Years ago there was a van parked up right outside my door at 3am I asked him to turn it off, got the normal response, only be here five minutes etc. I left the front door open went in the garden got a ten pound sledge hammer and the sight of a large woman swinging a hammer over his head persuaded him his five minutes were up!

Seriously go an tell them to turn it off else police will be called, word will get round.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 10.20am
"Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988"

An interesting article here.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 12.13pm
I agree with Jan the old one and if I were you I would take down the registration plate numbers and time of day/night and report them! The air pollution in London is bad enough as it is and to leave engines running whilst stationery is just not on!
Wednesday 12 August 2015 12.15pm
Jan :)
Wednesday 12 August 2015 1.23pm
I didn't know it was illegal. That makes almost all black cab drivers criminals!
Wednesday 12 August 2015 1.46pm
And ice cream vans.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 1.49pm
Doh! The offence is qualified by the word "unnecessarily". An ice cream van could argue that running the engine is necessary.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 3.56pm
Boroman wrote:
Yet never a TfL minicab sticker on the back.

In which case it isn't Uber, who only partner with licensed private hire drivers.

Wednesday 12 August 2015 6.41pm
You should film of all of them together and put a leaflet on their windscreen telling them that... "Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988" and that you will be reporting them. Try it and see if it works.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: