Residents of Waterloo Green

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 August 2015 8.44am
Walking past Waterloo Green yesterday morning, I noticed a load of people sleeping in the park and a camping style tent in the corner nearest the Baylis/Waterloo Roads junction.

The tent was still there yesterday evening and again this morning.

Who manages this space these days? They need to get a grip and protect this public space for all of us.
mac
Friday 14 August 2015 12.46pm
Several years back there were big problems with people putting up tents and sleeping in the park, washing in the water feature, going to the toilet on the nearby estate. The police used to be there every morning moving them on, the local councillors were involved and eventually it stopped. Worrying that it's starting to happen again.

I think the Blackfriars Open Space Trust manage the green http://www.bost.org.uk/open-places/waterloo-millenium-green/ so they should be made aware of it. I live close by so will monitor it and get in touch with BOST.
Friday 14 August 2015 12.47pm
I always thought the green tent was the BBQ stall? His usually in the setting up when I walk through at 8.30/45 each morning.
mac
Friday 14 August 2015 1.00pm
The big green tent near the Coral St entrance is the BBQ stall, but Rambling Phil said that tents are in the opposite corner (Baylis Road/Waterloo Road junction), where they have appeared before. Probably because it's more tucked away.
Friday 14 August 2015 7.22pm
Mac's right.
Friday 14 August 2015 9.15pm
It never stopped, there was just no tents. I often walk through the park and see people plotted, with suitcases, eating food, looking quite domestic. They never last long, I don't suppose the people there now with the orange tent will either. Think of it as a mini Sangatte. We're doing our bit.

To be honest, if they had means of waste disposal, then I wouldn't see a problem. It doesn't seem to bother the office workers and those that use the jerk chicken man (recommended), in fact, I think he employs a former park dweller, or at least he used to. A ragamuffin Pole, no less.
Saturday 15 August 2015 1.05pm
and they're gone.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network