Scam?! Man knocking on door asking for 20

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 August 2015 7.11pm
This morning a man caucasian looked about 30 had short fair shaved hair, short fair beard,stocky build knocked on my door asking for 20 for a taxi fare to clacton on sea where his pregnant wife was said he owned the barber shop in The Cut. Had a london/Essex accent. Claimed to live two doors down to me (we know the neighbours and he doesnt.) We live in he area behind the cut. I put it to him that he didnt live there and he didnt persist with this part of his story. He showed me some cash explaining he was 20 short of cab fare and needed the 20. I said i dont have any cash on me which is true as we dontt keep any cash or valubles in the house. I said if he did own barber shop i would meet him there in ten minutes. This was at 9:30am. After i refused him the cash he left. I rang police and they didnt see him at the barber shop when they went to the cut 10 minutes later. Whther he was trying it on for cash or just trying to scope the house out please be aware. I went and told the neighbours.
Saturday 15 August 2015 7.47pm
Thanks for posting this - it's a scam that's been around SE1 before and it's always good to remind people to be wary.
Monday 17 August 2015 8.28pm
He came to me in St Andrews Church Friday morning with the same story, I didn't give him anything either.

Gordon D
Tuesday 18 August 2015 11.13am
Tell him to Foxtrot Romeo Oscar the next time you see him- that's what I intend to do.

I might also try and extract my 20 out of him.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: