The Craftsman Cafe Abbey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 19 August 2015 10.56pm
This place has been open for a few months now I think. The concept is that the cafe uses products from the nearby markets, particularly Spa Terminus although think they have also sourced some stuff from other places. They serve coffee, cakes, pastries, salads and light meals. They have some produce for sale eg pasta, tinned fish, olive oil.

The location is in the old post office on Abbey Street where the Little Pedlar Bakery had opened up a few years ago.

It's a very friendly place and the quality of what they serve is very high. They served the best espresso I've had in the area I think and the salads and cakes are done very simply and are delicious. The main problem with the Little Pedlar place that was there before was it was quite grotty, but they seem to be keeping it much cleaner.

The produce they stock is all high quality. But the salads and meals are extremely reasonable, in the 5-8 range if I remember right.

It's only open Friday-Sunday at the moment. I think they are hoping to open more. Would be good if they could, I think there isn't much east of TBR open in the week, whereas there is lots of stuff going on at the weekend.

No connection, just thought the place deserved a thread.
Thursday 20 August 2015 1.44pm
I've been in just a few times with my wife and baby daughter. The coffee (from Coleman I think?) is excellent and everything else we've had has been very good. The people who run it are really nice too. Recommended, and deserves to be successful.
MCR
Friday 21 August 2015 8.14am
There's a total void of coffee shops east of Shad Thames thru Bermondsey Spa. I'll check it out at the weekend, thanks.
Saturday 22 August 2015 8.25am
Will check it out as well. Hopefully the opening times are more reliable than when it was the little bread peddlar.
Saturday 22 August 2015 11.20am
Nice to know and thanks for posting. I have walked past it today and was indeed wondering how it would be. This encourages me to go- places like this improve our neighbourhood and must be supported.
Sunday 23 August 2015 6.18am
I love the Craftsman.
The quality of the food is exceptionally high and the coffe delicious. They make Coleman coffee better than the Coleman stall in spa terminus!
Also So friendly and welcoming. And very clean and intelligently designed.

I do worry they are too cheap though. While I understand they might want to seem affordable to everyone, let's not forget they are only open a few days a week, have bills to pay and the produce they use is costly due to its quality. I would be happy to pay more.

I look forward to many more visits and I do hope they manage to open for more days. I would love it if they also opened earlier - for early-morning-been-up-all-night-with-my-baby-coffee.

Good luck Crafsman!!!!!!
Monday 24 August 2015 6.48pm
I concur with the comments above on Cratsman. Great food and coffee and very friendly. It's only small so not much space if it gets very busy but would love for it to succeed.
Saturday 3 October 2015 3.24pm
Superb place - beautiful wood, delicious food and friendly staff.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: