What would a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Thursday 20 August 2015 11.42pm
This Forum has remained strangely silent on the disaster that is currently unfolding for the Labour Party.

Since we live in an area and borough which is comprehensively dominated and controlled by Labour - we should have more than a passing interest in how things are going to play-out.

Although not Labour voter nor supporter, I am increasingly concerned for the future of moderate voices of sanity within the Labour Party. In other words - politicians that voters feel can can be entrusted with responsible governance.

Once Corbyn and his army of activists and Marxists take over - how long will it be before we return to the wilderness days of the early eighties - when moderate Councillors and even MPs were harassed and threatened with de-selection by the hard-left?

Problem is - that these kids supporting Corbyn have no memory or experience of what living under an extreme left-wing and authoritarian governing political party actually means in practice.
Friday 21 August 2015 1.21am
Floodplain wrote:
This Forum has remained strangely silent on the disaster that is currently unfolding for the Labour Party.
Since we live in an area and borough which is comprehensively dominated and controlled by Labour - we should have more than a passing interest in how things are going to play-out.

Although not Labour voter nor supporter, I am increasingly concerned for the future of moderate voices of sanity within the Labour Party. In other words - politicians that voters feel can can be entrusted with responsible governance.

Once Corbyn and his army of activists and Marxists take over - how long will it be before we return to the wilderness days of the early eighties - when moderate Councillors and even MPs were harassed and threatened with de-selection by the hard-left?

Problem is - that these kids supporting Corbyn have no memory or experience of what living under an extreme left-wing and authoritarian governing political party actually means in practice.

Many Labour voters feel totally ripped off by Tony Blair. David Cameron's infatuation with Blair all but annihilates any credibility he has. The LibDems are in the wilderness. UKIP/Farage simply isn't am option. Corbyn seems the most sensible option for youngsters. These days they are also more likely to stand up and remind politicians who's serving whom if they are getting carried away with all that power. The "kids" are not interested in memories - they are more than capable of making their own decisions.
Friday 21 August 2015 8.38am
The bigger danager for us locally is that a Corbyn victory will mean the Tories will get re elected and the damage that will do to poorer people and spending for the council NHS etc in the local area
Friday 21 August 2015 11.21am
Floodplain wrote:

I'm quite old and, although I've lived through governments of various parties with some authoritarian tendencies (eg using the police as a militia against strikes, introducing detention without charge, desiring ID cards, undertaking mass surveillance of the population and detailed surveillance of peaceful dissenters), I don't recall any 'extreme left-wing' government in this country.

When were you thinking of?
Friday 21 August 2015 3.48pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
I don't recall any 'extreme left-wing' government in this country.

Neither do I, and I'm 53.

Surely Floodplain can't be referring to Brown and Blair's governments.

Before that we had Callaghan and Wilson, and they surely were not extreme left wing.

That leaves only Clement Attlee, and if that government was hard left, then bring it on: I'm buying!

image hosting adult
Friday 21 August 2015 5.58pm
i'm genuinely confused by what you consider to be a 'disaster', floodplain (seriously, if you'd explain this, that'd be really good)

from the outside, all i've seen is people (not 'insurgents' or whatever some politicians/press are calling them) joining a party in the hope to put an end to the 'austerity' and certainly be an actual opposition to the current government, this can only be a good thing, surely?

if any one party has issues about people actually having a say, who is the 'party' for?
Friday 21 August 2015 8.00pm
Pros: It's very simple - the disaster for the Labour party if Corbyn takes control will be that they will be un-electable.

That is not good news for democracy in the UK - on this point you are utterly misguided.

As Londoners struggle to get to work next week during whilst tube drivers go on strike again - they will get a flavour of what is in store for them if/when Corbyn takes charge.

Corbyn's extremism will only breed more a more extreme reaction from the Government side.

How can any of this be a good thing?
Friday 21 August 2015 8.13pm
Very reassured that Rt. Hon. Neil Coyle MP is not supporting Corbyn:

From the Daily Telegraph - 22nd July:

Link to Daily Telegraph article

Quote:
Neil Coyle, MP for Southwark and Bermondsey, said he had now switched his vote to Yvette Cooper or Liz Kendall, although he did not regret nominating Mr Corbyn.
He said: I dont think he would be a good leader for our party or this country and that is what I hope members will be thinking when they cast their final vote.

From the Financial Times:

Link to Financial Times article

Quote:
Neil Coyle, who also backed him in June, said: I dont think he is credible and I think he knows that."
Friday 21 August 2015 10.54pm
Surprises me that Mr Corbyn's views which would have been considered fairly moderate pre New- Labour are suddenly 'Marxist'.. Floodplain, I think you've been drinking the Murdoch cool-aid....

I've voted for Corbyn and I hope he's elected. We need an opposition..... and we need policies that make sense.
- Control of key energy and transport industries rather than being ripped off by private monopolies.
- No more illegal wars
- Supporting our young people and giving them hope for a decent life rather than becoming debt slaves.
- Think of the environment not profit.
None of this is authoritarian, or even far-left by European standards. time the UK gave up its obsession with Thatcherism.
Friday 21 August 2015 11.38pm
I did not vote, as I wish to remain strictly unaffiliated to any political organisation.

The way things are at the moment, Corbyn is un-electable as Prime Minister, despite the fact that out of all Labour leadership candidates I identify my ideals most closely with his.

However, I have thought long and hard about this, and feel that the Labour Party would benefit from having Jeremy at the helm: the left, repository of the great Labour traditions, needs to be acknowledged as an important voice within the Party.

Any political organisation that does not have multiple and sometimes conflicting views among its members cannot really be taken seriously: too much North Korea is not good here in the UK.

If Corbyn becomes Labour leader, it would open up the party and help it to formulate policies that reconcile all currents.

As for Neil Coyle MP, his political career is tied to his loyal allegiance to the current status quo within Labour: I wouldn't expect him to turn against his sponsors and endorse Corbyn.

No offence or personal attack is meant or implied here, just a dispassionate evaluation I have made.

If Corbyn does end up leading the Party, it may not be him who eventually contests the next General Elections, instead it may well be a candidate that reflects a Labour Party that has renovated itself in the face on multiple defeats.

Labour cannot allow itself to be a grey, mediocre party that has forsaken its original ideas and whose leaders lack a clear program, and the charisma necessary to deliver it to the people.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: