Shredder??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 30 August 2015 9.53am
Hi Forum,

I don't know really where to look so hopefully someone might be able to help. I have been having a large clear out of documents and I am wanting to borrow for a day or so a large office level paper shredder. My little Ryman's one just isn't up to it for this job.

Does anyone by chance have one I can borrow??? The only rental companies I can find are for large corporate hire for van loads! Any suggestions would be amazing!

Cheers

C
Monday 31 August 2015 12.34pm
Might be able to help - depends where in SE1 you're based.
Monday 31 August 2015 4.24pm
Most recycling places won't take shredded paper so you will have to put it in the ordinary bin. Why not just tear off your name and address at the top of each letter or document and shred that bit. It's possible that many of your document won't have any personal and/or private information on them, and these can be put in the recycling bins.
Tuesday 1 September 2015 9.22am
Karen I wrote:
Most recycling places won't take shredded paper so you will have to put it in the ordinary bin. Why not just tear off your name and address at the top of each letter or document and shred that bit. It's possible that many of your document won't have any personal and/or private information on them, and these can be put in the recycling bins.

This was news to me, I've been putting shredded paper in my blue recycling bin for years now, albeit not on an industrial scale.
Anything with our address and/or name on gets shredded, even if it's a generic "To the householder at 99 Blank Street" type letter, e.g. letters from TV cable companies urging you to take Virgin/Sky services, "Cable already laid in your street!"
Tuesday 1 September 2015 10.46am
Taken from Southwark Council website

"Shredded paper (please put in a used paper envelope or paper bag) "
Tuesday 1 September 2015 11.47am
I have this problem. A ton of paper I'm reluctant to throw in the communal bins. Have yet to figure a solution.
Tuesday 1 September 2015 9.50pm
I ended up buying a shredder which could handle more than my old one.

Sadly it was all items, bank statements etc which needed to be shredded. Couldn't just take the address off. Also old HMRC statements. Thing I really wouldn't be comfortable even leaving to the professional shredding companies.

Thanks all the same for everyone's input. :)
Tuesday 1 September 2015 10.50pm
There isn't an ideal solution for the average Joe Bloggs. Absolutely everything that comes in the post has either your name or address, usually both, printed on it.

I have a "confidential waste" bag next to my desk (I work from home) and once I've amassed a few bags I tend to get one of the professional shredding companies out. Not cheap and I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

Perhaps a local company who has a regular confidential waste collection would be willing to allow forum members to add to it if we paid the (more reasonable) cost they are charged as a result of being regular customers?
Wednesday 2 September 2015 9.47am
Not sure I understand how Southwark Council would know if you put shredded paper in a recycling collection. As far as the bins where I live are concerned, a huge truck turns up and all three are up-ended into the back. What happens when it reaches its destination I can't say, but I certainly shred everything and in it goes!
Wednesday 2 September 2015 10.00am
Karen I wrote:
Most recycling places won't take shredded paper so you will have to put it in the ordinary bin.

The reason is, as I understand it, once paper has been shredded, or even just torn, the fibres are rendered useless/irreparable and it is impossible to make new paper out of it.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: