Tanner Street Park tennis courts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 September 2015 5.56pm
Anyone else noticed that ever since they did the Nike resurfacing/repainting/rebranding or whatever it is they’re supposed to have done that 3 of 4 of these courts are constantly waterlogged as the huge puddles take days to evaporate?

Anyway whether it’s worse or not you’d have hoped they’d have thought about drainage when ‘upgrading’ these courts given we live in a country where our summers are as wet as this…

Anyone know anything or who we can contact about getting it sorted? Some colleagues have tweeted Nike/Southwark with some amusing pictures of their refreshed courts but no responses…
Thursday 3 September 2015 11.44am
Someone should certainly be dealing with this - they are worse than ever (and I don't even play tennis !)
Wednesday 9 September 2015 1.38pm
Yes, Daniel - so annoying. We need to pressure them to fix this! Though it was a Nike event, it was organised and run by an independent events company called Limelight. But, actually I think our first port of call should be Southwark. They were the ones who agreed to the event taking place so a complaint would have more leverage if it came from them, I suspect.

The guy in charge of parks and leisure is called Barrie Hargrove. Contact details below:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarrieHargrove
Email: barrie.hargrove@southwark.gov.uk
phone: 020 7525 7311

If you have photos, do send them. I'll pop over and get some next time it rains.
Wednesday 9 September 2015 1.38pm
DanielW wrote:
Anyone else noticed that ever since they did the Nike resurfacing/repainting/rebranding or whatever it is they’re supposed to have done that 3 of 4 of these courts are constantly waterlogged as the huge puddles take days to evaporate?
Anyway whether it’s worse or not you’d have hoped they’d have thought about drainage when ‘upgrading’ these courts given we live in a country where our summers are as wet as this…

Anyone know anything or who we can contact about getting it sorted? Some colleagues have tweeted Nike/Southwark with some amusing pictures of their refreshed courts but no responses…

Yes, Daniel - so annoying. We need to pressure them to fix this! Though it was a Nike event, it was organised and run by an independent events company called Limelight. But, actually I think our first port of call should be Southwark. They were the ones who agreed to the event taking place so a complaint would have more leverage if it came from them, I suspect.

The guy in charge of parks and leisure is called Barrie Hargrove. Contact details below:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarrieHargrove
Email: barrie.hargrove@southwark.gov.uk
phone: 020 7525 7311

If you have photos, do send them. I'll pop over and get some next time it rains.
Tuesday 27 October 2015 10.38am
Next week planning committee is receiving a report re. release of £120k of section 106 money towards a £250,000 scheme to upgrade the courts and install floodlighting:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s57419/Report%20To%20release%20120000.00%20from%20the%20S106%20agreement%20associated%20with%2009AP1917%20for%2082-84%20Tanner%20S.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 November 2015 5.48pm
Firstly, apologies for the slow response to this thread but the posting has only just been brought to my attention and I hope my response below helps to clarify matters.

To increase participation in tennis and help protect public tennis courts, the council will be partnering with the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) and working with them to make Southwark a leading borough for tennis.

Tanner Street Park, which earlier this year hosted a Nike Court Activation event attended by international players Serena Williams and Roger Federer, is a key part in these plans. After the Nike event the courts were repainted back to the original colours but the courts really require complete resurfacing and improvements to the fencing. We are also proposing to install floodlights on the court to help increase their flexibility all year round, giving people more choice in when they play. The council received £17,500 in investment funding from Nike to contribute to these works. Any planned changes to the courts will go out via the normal channels of public consultation; we would aim to complete any refurbishments in early 2017.

We know that there has been some pooling of water at the courts in recent months. While we do expect this to improve over time as the paint used becomes more porous, only a complete resurfacing will give local people the guarantee of excellent facilities, in most weathers.

We hope that local people will welcome these plans. By addressing the increasing demand for tennis facilities in the borough, the council is aiming to not only promote healthy lifestyles for residents but also increase the participation of young people, particular in grassroots sport, by providing better quality, and more accessible, facilities.
Zoe
Tuesday 10 November 2015 9.36pm
Thanks for updating us and I am so pleased to see this. We have regularly found it impossible to play because of the standing water. I am rubbish at tennis and the puddles can be a great excuse for when the ball won't bounce, but there is only so many times I can use it as an excuse.
Monday 20 February 2017 4.40pm
Looks like these are nearly finished. Very exciting! Hoping the resurfacing will mean less puddles!

Do we know if floodlights are going up? There was also talk of a booking system at one point, or will this still be turn up and play?
Monday 20 February 2017 8.04pm
no floodlights

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: