Hop Exchange extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 6 September 2015 8.53am
Surely LBS wouldn't give planning permission for this extension. One, it is a listed building, and two, we have more than our fair share of hotels in SE1. I appreciate it was two storys higher in the past but the listing probably was made after it was repaired following the fire.

Related news & features

Sunday 6 September 2015 9.46am
I would certainly hope that such an application would be dismissed. The building should be maintained as is, in accordance with the sentiment behind the listing. I hope it's rejected. I'm sure the ward councillors will be unhappy with the plans.
Sunday 6 September 2015 10.40pm
What are the plans? Beautiful listed building historical but does appear to be underused by the general public access wise perhaps the proposals might rectify matters?
Sunday 6 September 2015 11.34pm
I think the plans are at an early/formative stage - see James' news story and the link to the Irish newspaper.

I agree that this beautiful listed building is "underused" by the general public, but I fail to see how yet another boutique hotel would afford access to the general public, a lot of whom wouldn't be able to afford to stay at such a hotel. Why deform a beautiful old building just to line someone's pockets?

Slightly off-piste, but driving up BHS to get to Clink Street tonight, it struck me just how much the skyline has changed in recent years. All these bits of glass(I'm thinking of the new NI building, contrasted with the Shard and the horrible amends to London Bridge station) are turning the place into Canary Wharf - a place with no soul. I preferred it as it was.
Monday 7 September 2015 3.13pm
I dont suppose they will leave the old lift there! sliding gate with a lift attendant...and if you needed the lavatory you had to go down 2 floors! it was a lovely old building in 61/62...you could really see when it was a Hop exchange and Factors.
Tuesday 8 September 2015 8.20am
Well The Savoy is my local hostelry so....one can look around ..... whatever one's perceived status which can be erroneous of course ........'re establishments of this nature

There was a wonderful tea shop near there years ago with live quiet music playing. I would hope something in similar order might be established....

They may be open for afternoon tea to the "general public" nothing definite yet so early days but thank goodness at least Waitrose is coming so there are some signs of hope for the area.
Tuesday 8 September 2015 8.49am
A tea shop along the lines you mention sounds a good thing, but my view still remains. Funny though you mention the Savoy - I'm doing my family tree and have discovered that my great grandfather was a head waiter at the Savoy...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: