Distressed Chicken at Charles Dickens Primary School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 8 September 2015 1.22pm
Advice needed please. For several months one of the chickens at Charles Dickens Primary School has been making what I now know to be the noise a chicken makes when it is distressed. The chicken makes this noise more or less continuously night and day. Lots of local residents I have spoken to are very disturbed by the sound. I have involved the RSPCA but their feedback was that the chickens as a whole are kept in pens which are within legal boundaries of what is reasonable. They did say however that one chicken is being picked on and is separated at night and that this must be the chicken that is making the distress noise. I then contacted the head teacher to ask if anything could be done but no reply. The advice of the RSPCA was to call Southwark noise team re the noise nuisance... but to me this is missing the point as even though at times the repetitive and ceaseless squawking drives me absolutely mad I do think this is more about solving the issue for the chicken (i.e. taking it to a better environment?) than my noise disturbance. If the school will not communicate on this issue has anyone any ideas how this situation might be resolved please?
Tuesday 8 September 2015 2.14pm
Tweet them. They have a chicken in their logo on their twitter page. Tweeting about problems gets actioned pretty quickly in my experience. @cdps_southwark. It's probably someone in admin running their twitter page so you should be lucky.

(Bullying chickens makes me cross) ...
Tuesday 8 September 2015 3.48pm
MzFitz wrote:
Tweet them. They have a chicken in their logo on their twitter page. Tweeting about problems gets actioned pretty quickly in my experience. @cdps_southwark. It's probably someone in admin running their twitter page so you should be lucky.
(Bullying chickens makes me cross) ...

The road?
Tuesday 8 September 2015 3.57pm
meh, wish I wasn't on the phone to a client when I read that, funny snorty noise isn't easily explained ...
Tuesday 8 September 2015 4.48pm
I'm so sorry, I thought it worthy of a (good or bad) joke.

Social cleansing makes me cross.
Tuesday 8 September 2015 9.15pm
Couldn't the school take it to Surrey Docks farm? It's a bit off I think, if the poor thing's in distress and they're not doing anything about it. Or maybe the Walworth farm would take it, or possibly Vauxhall city farm?
Charles Dickens school should be ashamed of this situation and even more so to have such bad manners as to not answer a pertinent question. It's hardly setting a good example is it?
Tuesday 8 September 2015 10.16pm
Get the story published in Southwark News making sure the RSPCA's lack of action is recorded.

Bad publicity works wonders.
Wednesday 9 September 2015 9.43am
Go into the school and talk to them?
Have a look at the chicken and its accommodation?
I've not heard incessant squawking - neither has my daughter who attends the school and is taught near to the coops.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 September 2015 10.41am
Chicken Tonight!
Wednesday 9 September 2015 11.48am
It's a perfect way to explain to the pupils how the egg and chicken industry operates.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: