Closure of Blackfriars Road drug and alcohol service.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 9 September 2015 7.09am
Found out yesterday that the NHS Drug and Alcohol service on Blackfriars Road will be closing . They went out to tender but were not successful in their bid.
More of the NHS being chipped away.
Sunday 13 September 2015 1.43pm
I'm not surprised, just another example of how Blackfriars is changing. I wonder if it has anything to do with all the swanky developments being built in the area?!
Sunday 13 September 2015 1.45pm
A great shame, it has helped many people, including me.
Sunday 13 September 2015 2.42pm
where will people go then? i got annoyed when i found blood testing services were farmed out to Viapath, then after attending one clinic and was told to have a blood test going down to b.testing was told that they only do gp's patients..and my veins are dreadful to find..at least in b.testing they were a hundred times better than some clinic nurses!
Sunday 13 September 2015 6.31pm
The council's cabinet is due to approve the new arrangements this week:
http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s56462/Report%20and%20appendices%20Integrated%20drug%20and%20alcohol%20treatment%20system.pdf

As to location/premises:

Quote:
The successful bidder is new to the borough and will have to secure a number of new premises from which to deliver the service. Officers have probed the providerís plans in relation to this and are satisfied that the proposed venues are suitable and have been budgeted for realistically in the proposed budget. However, the location of substance misuse related premises can be a sensitive issue for residents and communities located within close proximity. Lifeline has a wealth of experience in dealing with setting up new services in new locations. Officers will ensure that they work closely with residents, communities, partner agencies, relevant Elected Members and the provider to ensure that they location of these new premises is handled sensitively.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
jpm
Monday 14 September 2015 2.28pm
A couple of thoughts -

If you read the full report to the council (thanks James!) you'll see that much of the (previously NHS-funded) work that this tender is looking at was done by non-NHS organisations (as is often the way in the drug and alcohol world). The Blackfriars team was the only bit done by the NHS.

For what it's worth, Lifeline are a tremendously well respected organisation in the world of drugs and alcohol. I know them from back in the day in Manchester and they've grown to have a national reputation since then.
Wednesday 9 December 2015 4.58pm
Just an update the new Drug and Alcohol service for Southwark will be at Cambridge House 1 Addington Square SE5 from January 4th
All current drug and alcohol services in Southwark will be under one roof from this date.
Thursday 10 December 2015 8.38am
Sookysoo wrote:
I'm not surprised, just another example of how Blackfriars is changing. I wonder if it has anything to do with all the swanky developments being built in the area?!

Iím sure itís just a stunning coincidenceÖ.is old centre it big enough for a M&S?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network