Holly & Lil Dog Grooming on TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 9 September 2015 9.17pm
Initially I was happy to see Tower Bridge Road improved with the arrival of Holly & Lil, the lovely pet accessories shop.

However, learning that they charge 75 to have a dog groomed, strikes me as not just expensive but also worrying. They justify this by claiming exceptional high quality and sophistication. ("ex-Harrods dog groomers").

I am not knowledgeable enough to have a well founded opinion on this, but I do think this is not what we want for Tower Bridge Road and the neighbourhood. For people with normal to lower incomes, 75 is a ludicrous amount and here we see the perils of 'regeneration' at the expense of those who want to keep the shops and services accessible to a wide range of people.

My dog will carry on going to her Rotherhite based groomer, for the more modest amount of 35. And if that isn't modest, it is certainly more inclusive.
Thursday 10 September 2015 6.24am
Very well said, Maurits. Agree with all you say about "regeneration" etc. 75 is exorbitant in the extreme.
Thursday 10 September 2015 4.44pm
Is that for all breeds? And temperaments? The same for a Great Dane or English springer with lovely long floppy ears...still tell the doggies the groomers are ex Harrods, they'll be well impressed! Serious does seem expensive.
Thursday 10 September 2015 10.00pm
Jan the old one wrote:
...still tell the doggies the groomers are ex Harrods, they'll be well impressed! Serious does seem expensive.

You hit the nail on its head, Jan....
Friday 11 September 2015 8.57am
I know it's a different location but my daughters springer spaniel was groomed, nails clipped, stripped, ( apparently they pull out long hairs by hand) finished her off with a bow on her collar after batheing for the sum of 25.00 and when she suddenly developed a weird condition called SARDS and went blind the lovely girl called in and did the same minus the batheing for 20.00!...and it was a twenty minute drive in the car...Move to Allestree Maurits!
Friday 11 September 2015 4.16pm
I've never understood the hype about Holy & Lil. I remember popping in to get my small dog a collar and the plainest most basic leather version was just shy of 100! When I balked at the price the owner had the cheek to say I didn't understand the quality. I'll stick with my 16 British handmade leather versions from an equestrian tanner thanks very much!
Saturday 12 September 2015 9.45am
Oddly enough went in there two weeks ago as the dogs harnesses keep falling apart from various outlets and ended up leaving with a harness and collar.

Yes expensive but the quality and design is unsurpassed and built to last so they get the thumbs up from me. I also found the store staff kind and the chap in there went to great lengths to assist us.

It's not nice to deride a local small business because they are simply high end without even taking the service, you could say the same about anything else, the Ginger Pig for example.
Saturday 12 September 2015 10.28am
Jinkzama, you are absolutely right: the shop itself is lovely and, indeed, the staff very friendly and competent.

I do support them (as a local business) but I don't want Tower Bridge Road to become 'high end'. London is 'high end' enough and we need our shops and services to be available to everyone. Charging 75 for a dog to be groomed is a signal to the community that they only want to be there for the rich.

Regeneration in its extreme, is a form of social cleansing and we need to find a balance here.

Whilst I love and support new local businesses I feel this discussion is important- it keeps us all on our toes.
Saturday 12 September 2015 11.48am
Just had an email from an aptly named Arsefleck Wibbler drawing attention and revelling in the fact 'our overpriced products were getting a good kicking' here.
I hope it is acceptable to you all if I post the reply I sent to him?
Title - I wish you well too.

Thank you Arsefeck
We suffered the same attacks when we opened on Bermondsey St 10 years ago.
And it is as sad and ill-informed as it was then.
In Bermondsey Street we are the last handmade leather-workers in what was once a thriving leather tanning and craftsman area.
There was only one leather warehouse when we moved in - that soon got bought out and flats planned.
We have survived by producing high quality products in a deep recession.
Not an easy feat.
You can go elsewhere and buy your 10 collars and be happy but if you want something else.
Something that we have designed and made with love in London - then come to us and we will be happy to serve you.
You can go to Chanel or Jigsaw or Topshop.
That is the joy of alternatives and competition is healthy.

The Groomers again offers an alternative.
Our prices start at 35 not 75.
Dogs like Labradoodles that take hours are up the expensive end.
Other dogs are of course not so expensive.
Many of the people who have come to us have commented on how we are only 5-10 more than the city and guild groomers they have been going to.
And also some have come to our Groomers who used to take their dogs to Harrods.
A Springer in Harrods they paid 105 for. They come to the same girls at our Groomers and they pay 60.

It is not compulsory to come to us - we offer an alternative and aim to offer great quality groomers and premises and products.
If you feel the 'extra' we charge is better in your pocket you have loads of choices to go elseawhere.
But if people are going to slate us at least get your facts correct.
We have been warmly welcomed here by our neighbours and are thrilled we have come and seem to wish us well.
Perhaps you would all have preferred a Starbucks or a Jigsaw or some other 'chain; not a company like Holly&Lil that has links with the heritage of the area.

Sincerely
Elaine
Hollys owner
Saturday 12 September 2015 12.09pm
All credit to you, Elaine, for posting and putting your point across. No one can argue with your point about choice and competition. However, from my reading, all that has been pointed out is that yours is a very expensive product. No one has slated your business or doubted the quality of your service.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: