Leisure centre: information black hole

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Monday 14 September 2015 12.37pm
Why aren't people up in arms about the total lack of information about the new Castle Leisure Centre? There's nothing online, the Southwark website is silent on the subject, and if you sign up to the newsletter you get no response. Does anyone have a clue what's going on?
jpm
Monday 14 September 2015 1.29pm
Yes - I think it's very odd that they're not saying anything about this at all - particularly when it's due to open within the next three months.
You can sign up to a newsletter to get information about the Leisure Centre on the Southwark website - which I did - but news came back none!

I did ask about what was happening in June
(Elephant &) Castle Leisure Centre - opening date

and James managed to pry out the information in the form of a tweet from the leader of the council 'hoping for October' [opening]

A friend told me that potential purchasers of flats in the tower above ('One the Elephant') had been told the construction had been delayed and they wouldn't be able to move in until next year - but I can't vouch for this and don't know if that affects the leisure centre anyway
Monday 14 September 2015 1.46pm
Will they have squash courts?
Monday 14 September 2015 3.04pm
November is the latest I have heard.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 14 September 2015 3.27pm
Ever-receding, like a phantom...
They managed to miss the school hols, now it sounds like they'll manage to miss half term. I would put money on it not opening in 2015.
Thanks for the info!
Monday 14 September 2015 7.13pm
Carrying out physical exercise is one of the best ways for people to be healthy, so says the NHS.

This sign is prominently displayed on the front of the Old Walworth Town Hall, in Walworth Road:

It would appear that the heirs (LBS) to that administration don't really see it as a priority in quite the same way as their forefathers:

First they privatised the E&C leisure centre, then the private company tasked with running it demolished the existing 25mt swimming pool and replaced it with yuppie friendly squash courts.

Also, under the privatised period, one could not simply show up and pay a one-off admission fee: they had to take out a yearly membership. This essentially turned away a great many low income potential users.

I wonder how this new facility will work whenever it is that those in charge manage to get their act together and actually open it....
Monday 14 September 2015 7.44pm
Jules62 wrote:
then the private company tasked with running it demolished the existing 25mt swimming pool and replaced it with yuppie friendly squash courts.

I'm pretty sure the swimming pool closed before the management was contracted out and when the place was still directly council-run.

The pool wasn't replaced by squash courts - the pool remained in situ, pigeon-infested and disused, until the whole centre was demolished.

Jules62 wrote:
Also, under the privatised period, one could not simply show up and pay a one-off admission fee: they had to take out a yearly membership
Are you absolutely sure about that? I don't believe that to be the case. The Southwark leisure centres price list would certainly suggest otherwise.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 14 September 2015 7.52pm
The last time I swam at the Elephant was in about 1993/1994. Not sure exactly when it closed, but I know that the privatisation arrangement with Fusion started in about 2001 and that the pool was definitely closed by that time. All I remember is a silly little slide, but was it really a 25-metre pool? I remember it being very small in comparison to Seven Islands, for example.
Monday 14 September 2015 8.25pm
I stand corrected on the dates. But am pretty sure is was a 25mt(half of an Olympic size), though I may well be wrong on that too.

Regarding the LBS attitude towards that facility, I stand by what I said: it was under them that we lost our pool, and under them that we are experiencing delays on its replacement.

As for admission policies, a 'Choice Membership' is in operation.
Monday 14 September 2015 8.41pm
I agree with you, Jules, about Southwark's attitude towards the facility. It was very poorly maintained for years, almost deliberately.

I really don't know about the size of the pool as I was a child when I last visited the pool so I'm not gainsaying that it was a 25-metre pool; it probably was. I can't find any pictures online for the pool - I'd like to refresh my memory as to what it looked like.

As for its eventual replacement, whenever it arrives, it wouldn't surprise me if, months after opening, it closes for refurbishment/remedial works in a similar way to the flagship Peckham Pulse did when it was opened.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: