Bike thefts - Bikeaway lockers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 September 2015 10.34am
Hello,

I live on an estate in Waterloo. We have around 40 green Bikeaway lockers for our bikes. We've had them for over 5 years with no thefts but in the past three weeks, 6 bikes have been stolen. With each one, the locks have been broken off, the police think with bolt croppers. Is anyone else in the area also being targeted?

And separately, if you do have Bikeaway lockers, we've been informed that the lockers have been designed to be used with only round disc locks, as you can't get purchase with bolt croppers. Unfortunately, we weren't aware of this until now. We've now advised all users to change their locks.
Tuesday 15 September 2015 12.29pm
I use a bikeaway locker over in Neckinger estate so this is a little worrying. I use the padlock that came with the locker, which is round in shape - can you clarify if this is different to what has been in use at Waterloo?

Have you notified bikeaway and have they offered any advice?
Tuesday 15 September 2015 12.39pm
Hello, the round lock is correct. We weren't supplied with locks when we got the lockers. And so have been using the wrong type of locks.
Yes, we've been in touch with Bikeaway and they were very concerned and helpful.
We're also advising locker users to lock their bikes in the locker.
Tuesday 15 September 2015 1.03pm
Thanks for the heads up Hetty. We have the round locks on the Arnold but we'll be extra vigilant.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: