Speakers under bridge in Southwark Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 19 September 2015 9.08pm
why are there speekers and a spotlight next to hot munchies, under railway bridge on southwark st. every time you walk under it. the speekers play a crowd cheering.
Saturday 19 September 2015 10.06pm
It's an installation by the New York artist Adam Frank as part of the 'Avenue of Art'

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8332

Here's a video of the NY version

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 20 September 2015 12.59am
Before I noticed the speakers, camera and spotlight I thought perhaps it could be that multi person bicycle thingy with the high pitched screeching/screaming/ cheering going along Southwark Street more than usual. Then on seeing the equipment I thought it was to scare off the pigeons lol - well, that's what I've suggested to my neighbours when it's been discussed. I live quite close and it does get on my nerves a bit. Anyway mystery solved now! Thanks James.
Sunday 20 September 2015 10.50pm
Glad I'm not an art teacher; I'd have trouble explaining that one.
Friday 25 September 2015 12.41pm
The objective of any art is to shake one out of the complacency of the 'real'. Everything exists as fabrication and therefore is open to question and interrogation. Art should highlight these illusions of self predicated on a world of so called normative behaviours.

On this basis, Adam Frank's piece 'Performer' might be read as a re-evaluation of the pedestrian as an actor in their own world view, subject to a moment's glory in the daily anonymity of the commute to work. Or else it's just an annoying noise and a spotlight!

Your call.

Up next, as part of the TfL funded 'Colourful Crossings' initiative, a text piece by yours truly, The River of Tomorrow. I apologise for the shameless plug, but the publicity is a bit poor on detail.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: