Want to take part in Virtual Reality research at King's College London (Denmark Hill)?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 26 September 2015 8.00pm
I am a researcher at King’s College London (Denmark Hill). We’re doing a research study using Virtual Reality and we are looking for participants.

The study is in two stages. Stage 1 is a short online survey of working age adults that focuses on social situations. Everyone who completes the survey will be entered into a prize draw to win Amazon vouchers. All information is confidential.

Stage 2 involves piloting a new virtual reality platform and aims to understand how people respond when entering a social environment in virtual reality. A selection of those who complete the survey will be invited to take part in the virtual reality. Those who choose to accept this invitation will be paid £10 for approximately 1 hour of their time. Full study information and the survey can be found here:

https://kings.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/vrandsocialsituations

Thanks,
Simon
Monday 28 September 2015 6.52pm
pay us with alcohol and we might be interested ;)
Monday 28 September 2015 6.56pm
My wife already plugs something into the back of my head, I don't know what it's for, but the next thing I know I'm washing up.
Tuesday 29 September 2015 11.26pm
This does not seem like professional terms for research - Vouchers?
Friday 2 October 2015 6.31pm
A lot of online academic surveys ask to be completed out of the goodness of people's hearts so a draw for vouchers wouldn't be so bad.

On the other hand, I spotted a very heteronormative question early on in this survey so gave up on it!!
Sunday 4 October 2015 2.16am
thanks for a new word i to have google as no idea what it means :)

heteronormative
Monday 5 October 2015 9.47am
unlikelyheroine wrote:
On the other hand, I spotted a very heteronormative question early on in this survey so gave up on it!!

Given this is an academic study, which generally use variants of 'industry standard' questions to establish baselines, this sounded a bit unlikely to me.

I got halfway through and haven't seen anything amiss. I've tried as a male and a female (wearing trousers with a skirt over the top). The questions are the same either way, so the fact you have to enter your gender on the first page doesn't seem to affect the what you're asked. None of the questions themselves mention gender.

So what was this ('very', mind you) heteronormative question?
Wednesday 7 October 2015 12.41pm
turtmcfly wrote:
unlikelyheroine wrote:

Given this is an academic study, which generally use variants of 'industry standard' questions to establish baselines, this sounded a bit unlikely to me.

I got halfway through and haven't seen anything amiss. I've tried as a male and a female (wearing trousers with a skirt over the top). The questions are the same either way, so the fact you have to enter your gender on the first page doesn't seem to affect the what you're asked. None of the questions themselves mention gender.

So what was this ('very', mind you) heteronormative question?

Well my post was sort of tongue in cheek... But personally, I consider asking whether you feel uncomfortable around the opposite sex (devoid of cultural context or indeed any context) a heteronormative question. I will moderate the "very."

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: