TFL consulatation "Smartphone displays Uber app London taxi rules would 'end Uber'"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 29 September 2015 9.38pm
I'm quite riled up by blatant racketeering proposals by TFL to basically shut down UBER's business model.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34394774

I do not want to have to do the following again during early morning or late hours.

A. walk the streets looking for a cab office on the off chance that they have something available.
B. Try and find a stupidly expensive black cab.
C. Try and order a cab from someone like Addison Lee ( expensive and not that reliable )
D. Get the nightbus

Isn't TFL a public company that's meant to act in the interest of the consumer and Londoners? The proposals seem like blatant behavior to protect the black cabs at the public's expense.
Tuesday 29 September 2015 9.57pm
Seems like Traffic for London are determined to try to push the genie back into the bottle.
We have the poorest air quality in Europe, a scandal exposing the emissions of diesel vehicles, and TfL's response to the smart phone revolution is to capitulate to a cartel.
I despair.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 6.24am
graham wrote:
Seems like Traffic for London are determined to try to push the genie back into the bottle.
We have the poorest air quality in Europe, a scandal exposing the emissions of diesel vehicles, and TfL's response to the smart phone revolution is to capitulate to a cartel.
I despair.

If by 'cartel' you mean licensed black cabs, then it isn't a cartel: any person over 18 with a clean criminal record and a valid driving license may take the Knowledge. If successful that person may then drive a cab. This makes the London black cabbie the best in the world.

As for the 'smartphone revolution' the Hailo app (used to order a black cab) predates the 2012 launch of Uber in London.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 8.34am
TFL have just leaked these proposals to stir up the debate, it's a classic political move by them. The reality is that 'the knowledge' is now not required and this will go the same way as any other monopoly cartel in history :boilermakers, river boat men on the Thames etc. Boris is a libertarian and a capitalist at heart and public opinion will win I hope. There are very few users/ customers supporting black cabs that I've seen.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 8.38am
If you like and use Uber, then you can sign this petition to stop TFL restraining Uber

https://action.uber.org/tfl/
Wednesday 30 September 2015 9.21am
Black cabs are not a "monopoly cartel", they are the antithesis of that.
A Black cabbie has to buy or rent his cab, works for himself, takes all the profits as an individual capitalist and is licensed to ply his trade as a tested driver, knowledgeable and free of criminal convictions.
His cab has to undergo strict annual testing.

I would suggest, JGarcia, that you observe Oxford Street and even The Cut to see exactly how popular Black cabs are. I have counted over 24 cabs in the constant traffic jams we now get on The Cut (thanks to your libertarian and capitalist Boris).
I do not believe there would be as many plying their trade if there were as few customers as you assert.
I use both minicabs and black cabs, I always know what I will pay in a black cab but minicabs are a mystery to me as to how they calculate fares.
I prefer black cabs.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 10.03am
-- moved topic --
Wednesday 30 September 2015 10.10am
In Derby the mini cabs are very reasonable compared to London, but of course rents etc., are far more expensive, but even small firms in Derby have meters, at least you know where you stand when you look at a meter.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 12.01pm
JGarcia wrote:
TFL have just leaked these proposals to stir up the debate, it's a classic political move by them. The reality is that 'the knowledge' is now not required and this will go the same way as any other monopoly cartel in history :boilermakers, river boat men on the Thames etc. Boris is a libertarian and a capitalist at heart and public opinion will win I hope. There are very few users/ customers supporting black cabs that I've seen.

Yep, now we've dealt with all the working class "cartels" perhaps we can now look at financial services, where, quite often, the only criteria required is that you went to the right school!
Wednesday 30 September 2015 2.24pm
I would miss Uber very much. And in my case at least it's not taking business away from black cabs since I simply wouldn't use them because they are too expensive for me.
In fact it's taking business away from TFL so maybe that's the reason for the new proposals!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: