Southwark Council gives 1m to Tate Modern

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 October 2015 9.21pm
Now, I like art as much as the next man (or non-gender determined person), but I'm not sure I understand why our local council has given away a cool million of our cash:
Tate Modern extension: Southwark Council to give 1m.
I'm sure there's a good reason (maybe)
Thursday 8 October 2015 9.43pm
Tend to agree- love The Tate and art- and I am always banging on about The Arts lack of funding , but there is so much poverty in the Borough - more important this money should have been prioritised to other things first. Also The Tate already has private benefactors etc. Again not trying to take funding from the Arts but please....
Friday 9 October 2015 12.14pm
The company I work for is a Tate Corporate Member and as such staff can get unlimited free entry to exhibitions, access to members room and exclusive member talks, events and viewing hours etc. I assume Southwark will probably get these benefits if it is donating 1m, so will the residents - who will be paying for this donation - get any of these perks?
Friday 9 October 2015 12.32pm
The 1 million is specifically directed to the education facilities ('learning suites') in the new building.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 9 October 2015 6.37pm
Presumably the education facilities won't be reserved for Southwark residents.
Zoe
Wednesday 14 October 2015 6.45am
Good to see one of our councillors: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34521911
Wednesday 14 October 2015 8.27am
Who, within the Council. makes these decisions ?
How do they come to reach the decision ? Was a heart tugging appeal made by Tate Modern that couldn't be refused ?
Was one million pounds asked for and given because Southwark should be seen to be grateful for the existence of Tate Modern in Southwark ?
To say that Tate Modern brings tens of thousands of visitors to the Southbank is true but how much deeper those visitors venture into Southwark heartlands and their spending habits need to be demonstrated to the advantage to the whole of Southwark.
I do not believe for one moment that there would be a lesser number of visitors to the Tate Modern if Southwark did not contribute 1 million.
However much councillors may enjoy it they should not hobnob with the Arts brigade or property developers because the professionals will take advantage of them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: