Piano practice in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 14 October 2015 6.57pm
Hi - I'm looking for a piano and room to hire so I can practice - does anyone know anywhere in SE1? Preferably in London Bridge or Borough, but would be happy to hear about suggestions further afield.

Thanks in advance..
Wednesday 14 October 2015 7.37pm
If you're looking for somewhere in the early evening on an ad hoc basis, there is (or was) a piano at St Thomas's Hospital. I often used to practise there. Free of charge! Drawback is that other use it for practice too and if someone's on it you could have a wait!

Someone else might be able to suggest a music studio somewhere, but I can't think of any.

My wife bought me a Yamaha Clavinova last Christmas. It is a full-sized all-singing, all-dancing electric piano. It is easily transportable in a medium-sized hatchback car. If you haven't got space for an upright I'd highly recommend the Clavinova.
Friday 16 October 2015 10.33am
I have a piano, and if you have the space for it you can come and collect it. Not joking either, I need the space
Friday 16 October 2015 12.16pm
Tattie - that is a generous offer! I live in a small flat on the 2nd floor and not sure I have the space - but just out of interest how large is your piano? Perhaps I could find another place for it...

Gavin - thanks for the tip. Although, I might have to do a bit of practising to get myself back up to speed before I let myself loose in public ;-)
Friday 16 October 2015 2.34pm
I would suggest buying a digital piano, and practicing at home using headphones so as not to bother the neighbours.

Digital pianos have 88 weighted keys, and are good enough to be accepted by the Royal College of Music for examinations.

You can pick one up quite cheaply, second hand. The only other thing you will need is a stand: these can be picked up new for 50.00 or less.

Amazon is a good place to look for one.
Friday 16 October 2015 2.39pm
I echo Jules' advice. I had a lovely upright for several years and to be honest my digital piano (Clavinova) is superior in sound and touch and has the benefit of being able to plug headphones in so as not to bother the neighbours or anyone else. I particularly enjoy playing with the various sounds and backing tracks/drums etc and makes even my (poor) playing sound adequate!
Monday 19 October 2015 11.28am
sl123 wrote:
Tattie - that is a generous offer! I live in a small flat on the 2nd floor and not sure I have the space - but just out of interest how large is your piano? Perhaps I could find another place for it...

It's an upright turn of the century build.
Tuesday 20 October 2015 9.39am
More in praise of digital pianos, courtesy of Jools Holland:

Wednesday 27 April 2016 10.13am
There's a great little room in Shepherds Bush. near all the tubes, trains next to westfield shopping centre.

It completely sound proof and there is only one room so you don't have to hear someone better than you playing!!! i love it there. i think it's 4 or 4.50 each hour

http://westfieldstudios.moonfruit.com/

c g

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network