All roads lead to Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 19 October 2015 7.33pm
If I'm reading the Southwark Council proposal for the Jubilee Cycle Grid Route correctly then it appears that it will force vehicles of residents/visitors to Tanner Street, Morocco Street and Leathermarket Street to exit via Bermondsey Street so increasing traffic and congestion, especially at the St Thomas Street junction (unless you cut back through Snowsfields before the tunnel).

While this removes one rat run it creates pressure points and congestion elsewhere. I'd be interested to hear others views on this before I make my submission to the council.

Cycle grid route section d

2. Leathermarket Street and Morocco Street (east of Leathermarket Street) is proposed to be made one-way eastbound for general traffic with contra-flow cycle facility in the westbound direction (Plan D1 & D2).

4. Tanner Street is proposed to the made one-way westbound for general traffic with contra-flow cycle facility (Plan D2).
Tuesday 20 October 2015 9.40am
Thanks for the heads up about this, Milton. I was oblivious until reading this. Whilst streetscape works are to be welcomed, meddling with the flow of traffic is another. I have objected to the proposals to change the flow of traffic.

As a local resident I would be directly affected. Tanner Street, Leathermarket Street, Weston Street, Long Lane is often the only way I can get home when traffic is bad (which it increasingly is) and it removes a route primarily used by residents anyway. As you rightly say, it only moves the congestion elsewhere.
Tuesday 20 October 2015 12.50pm
Although Leathermarket Street for one would benefit from being one way - the trucks that pound down those little streets make the buildings vibrate constantly. Living near one of the speed bumps as we do we get showered (literally) in little bits of brick coming down as the heavy vehicles hit the road either side of the speed bumps - the speed bumps should go too as part of this plan. It is not as if the traffic ever allows anyone to build up speed in the first place.
tw
Tuesday 20 October 2015 10.02pm
I'm all in favour of making the street safer for pedestrians and cyclists, but I think these proposals are really badly thought out.

It's exactly as MiltonF says, all roads lead to Bermondsey Street.

There will be daily queues of traffic all the way down the street, as already often happens, the air quality will be dreadful on the street impacting local businesses and pedestrians, and when there is heavy traffic, drivers will not be able to escape it as it will all be bottled up on Bermondsey Street.
Tee
Wednesday 21 October 2015 8.12am
Something needs to be done, as traffic is getting so bad. Sadly i don't think it has been considered properly. Westbound traffic along Tanner Street is a huge problem, so keeping it will resolve nothing. It certainly won't be a cycle quietway going in the opposite direction with vans, cars and HGVs tearing towards you, as they do. The rat runs need to be cut off or eliminated. Flow of traffic on main roads should be reviewed. Why so many people feel the need to drive a car in London, i'll never know.
Friday 23 October 2015 1.45pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
... it removes a route primarily used by residents anyway.

If so, I'm amazed how many residents drive large vans and trucks.

I think the lesson of the last few decades is clear - trying to accommodate or facilitate motor traffic in central London streets, away from the through routes, is futile. Either it just plain doesn't work or else traffic increases to fill the extra capacity and we're back to square one having spent lots of public money and even further increased the traffic-related hazards to all of us.

In my view, the priorities should be:
1. Pedestrians
2. Cyclists
3. Public transport
... and if that increases the pain for users of private/commercial motor vehicles, so be it.

(BTW I live in the area under discussion and I own - and sometimes use - a car.)
Friday 23 October 2015 4.39pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
If so, I'm amazed how many residents drive large vans and trucks.

Six people on my section of the estate where I live drive vans which they bring home and park outside. You might not be aware, but driving commercial vehicles is an occupation for some people.
Friday 23 October 2015 5.03pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
You might not be aware, but driving commercial vehicles is an occupation for some people.

I do know that Gavin - you may think I'm an independently wealthy and unworldly man of leisure, but I'm not. I wish.

Of course, I'm just challenging your assertion that the roads being discussed here are "primarily used by residents", at least during the busy times when I pass along them. The numbers of out of area commercial vehicles, tipper trucks and even HGVs I see every day make me doubt that.
Friday 23 October 2015 5.36pm
Fair enough, Dave. Apologies if I came across a bit catty.

I still stand by my assertion though - albeit my experience is mainly school run times, which is mainly when I drive. Whether the vehicles are local or out of area, traffic flow is important. We should be trying to make it better, not worse. Simple things like changing sequence of traffic lights, delaying sequences of traffic lights, would be a good place to start.
Friday 23 October 2015 5.59pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Fair enough, Dave. Apologies if I came across a bit catty.
... Whether the vehicles are local or out of area, traffic flow is important. We should be trying to make it better, not worse.

That's OK Gavin, I was a bit sarky myself, sorry.

I don't favour making difficulties for traffic just for the sake of it, however if changes make things better for pedestrians and cyclists but worse for motor vehicle users then that's fine with me. Maybe if motor vehicle users get the idea that it's a nightmare to negotiate the area then they will steer clear (or if local, try other ways to get around). And if so, I think we'd all ultimately be better off.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: