How can I put this?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 21 October 2015 7.37pm
Hi all

I live on one of the housing estates in the Blackfriars area and am experiencing a problem with unwanted items of litter.The said items often fall onto my balcony or on the grass downstairs. I live on the first floor. The said items are usually food, but sometimes they are condoms, tissues and more recently used sanitary towels. As you can imagine I find this un neighbourly, not to mention unhygienic. So here's my dilemma, do I report it to the Council and would I be taken seriously? This is happening on a daily basis. If anyone has had a similar experience I would be grateful for any advice you could share. Many thanks in advance.
Wednesday 21 October 2015 8.20pm
I had the same with upstairs neighbours some time ago. The neighbours will /and in your tenancy have a clause they must not cause nuisance to other neighbours. I suggest you write to the offending neighbour- in a 'soft' approach way-saying you may not realise this is causing me nuisance/offence but please stop. If they don't stop at once then report it to the council as ASB. Take photos as well. Send a copy of your 'soft' letter to the council . By recorded delivery.

I am sorry you are having to endure this.
Thursday 22 October 2015 7.07am
It is also worth speaking directly with your Estate Officer, and with your TRA (if there is one).

Other residents on your floor are likely to have witnessed the same problem, so try giving them a knock and see if they want to add their voice to yours.
jpm
Thursday 22 October 2015 9.27am
I'm guessing you live on a Southwark Council estate (rather than the Peabody estate at the Elephant end of Blackfriars Road)

If you're on a Council estate then the advice above is good (though do remember if you life in Styles House (by Southwark tube station) or Applegarth House (on Nelson Square) then these are run by TMOs and they will be much quicker about sorting out your problem - just go to the estate office)

You can also report antisocial behaviour online on the Southwark Council website http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/98/antisocial_behaviour/1725/report_antisocial_behaviour

Southwark Council have a great team called SASBU, who are really good about sorting out antisocial behaviour problems.
Thursday 22 October 2015 9.54am
Many thanks for all your replies. I live in Applegarth House in Nelson Square and I've mentioned this to both our Estate Manager and at our quarterly tenants meetings. The Housing Manager has addressed this in our newsletters on previous occasions, but it still continues.
jpm
Thursday 22 October 2015 10.07am
You should ask the Estate Manager to bring in SASBU to help with this. I'm guessing that this problem must come from a particular property and they/you/others must have an idea who it is.

Anything with blood or bodily fluids counts as a serious health hazard (all of this stuff in the NHS has to be properly incinerated) so you should up the pressure on this - and remind the office etc that this is not just 'litter'
Thursday 22 October 2015 11.57am
This is littering, environmental health and a ASB issue
I am sorry this is going on, I know how horrible it is. The advice re SABU I would second. Take photos and date them.
Thursday 22 October 2015 2.05pm
When I moved into my first flat away from family, I acquired a cat. This cat seemed to want to go to the toilet everywhere but her litter tray, especially some ladies balcony, I became aware of this because, the lady would kindly scoop it up and leave it outside my front door.

I soon got the message and took action.
Thursday 22 October 2015 5.32pm
Throwing used condoms and sanitary towels out of a window is not normal, typical behaviour: I would wager that this is down to a single household on your estate.

In addition to my earlier suggestions, I recommend you keep a journal of all incidents and take photos to illustrate the problem.

I would also try to speak to the estate Cleaner and ask if he or she has any gut feelings on who might be responsible.

Clearly you Estate Officer has not delivered in terms of being effective: escalate your complaint and go to his or her boss.

CC all three of your councillors, and your MP, Neil Coyle.

Whenever making or taking phone calls on this issue, be sure to take written notes that should at the very least include the name and position of the person you are speaking to, dates and times.

It is the council's responsibility to ensure that their tenants live in a clean and safe environment.

Whatever you do, do not challenge the offenders directly: if they are the sort of people who toss condoms out of windows, there is no telling what else they are capable of.
Thursday 22 October 2015 5.33pm
Whoever does that must have some behavioural problem.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: