Albert McKenzie VC, Memorial - Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 22 October 2015 7.36pm
It is very good to know this Memorial to a Bermondsey Hero is finally ready for unveiling - although it would seem there's a lot to be done tomorrow morning, for that is when the Ceremony takes place.

I hope there will be a good attendance - because there has been no publicity, as far as I can see. Even the website to Albert McKenzie VC - or this website - does not carry any reference to such an important occasion. A Google search revealed nothing.

For those who may be interested, I am told there will be 'sodiers in the streets', gathering at 11.30am for a midday unveiling.

Related news & features

Friday 23 October 2015 12.10pm
https://vine.co/v/eV6ilquz7hi

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 23 October 2015 1.36pm
To my surprise, I was genuinely moved. I am pleased to have this is my neighbourhood.
Friday 23 October 2015 6.16pm
It has taken a while but I love it and it is a great addition to the area
Friday 23 October 2015 7.22pm
It is a very good sculpture, and its subject more than deserves to be remembered almost 100 years from his demise.

Very sad to see a hero survive WWI, only to fall victim of the 1918 flu pandemic.

Now we have antibiotics: let us remember not to abuse them if we want them to keep on working to protect us.
Friday 23 October 2015 11.30pm
I was also very moved, although someone should have done a sound check before the event. It was only when one elderly gentleman walked across and increased the volume, that we heard anything at all - over halfway through.

Well done to those who worked so hard to make this Memorial to a very brave 'Local Hero' become a reality.
Saturday 24 October 2015 7.53pm
saw it today! was very taken aback by it. I loved the local shops signs about welcoming albert back. its very shiny and new, I hope it is OK & safe from steel thiefs. i still feel upset re the Dr Salter statues at rotherhithe.
Saturday 24 October 2015 11.03pm
Yes, I hope it is not misused or abused in any way. One can dream.

Someone asked me why I hadn't read about the unveiling in Southwark News. I responded that I don't read it with any regularity, as it is so badly written.

Looking at the latest edition and the relatively small piece about the ceremony, I was not disappointed. Evidently there was to be 'some top bras....'

I rest my case.
Sunday 25 October 2015 11.39am
I'm sorry I missed this, great stuff, I will have a walk today to see it.

A little mention for John Berylson (Millwall FC owner), who flew in from the states to attend the ceremony.
Sunday 25 October 2015 11.53am
Philpotts24 wrote:
Someone asked me why I hadn't read about the unveiling in Southwark News. I responded that I don't read it with any regularity, as it is so badly written.
Looking at the latest edition and the relatively small piece about the ceremony, I was not disappointed. Evidently there was to be 'some top bras....'

I rest my case.

Philpotts, take your point about the typos etc in the News, but IMO that adds to its "quirkiness". As they proudly say on their website, the Southwark News is the only independently owned, paid-for newspaper in London. Its editors have done a fine job from rescuing it after its founder died some years ago. Long before James of this website had his printed SE1 newsletter Dave Clark (founder of the Southwark News) was photocopying A4 sheets of paper and circulating news that otherwise wouldn't have been covered. It is a proper local newspaper in the true sense, unlike the South London Press.

Given that the News is in the shops on Thursday and its print deadline is clearly some time before that, what more would you expect before the event has even happened? I am sure there will be a full write-up of the event in next week's paper.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: