The Blitz in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 23 October 2015 10.07am
Good day all. I have been contracted to write a book on Southwark (Bermondsey, Southwark and Camberwell) in the Blitz. The theme is a chronology 1940-45 supported by personal accounts, anecdotes, eye witness accounts.

I have collected a great deal in respect to the above but you can never have enough of this type of material

If any forum members have family stories etc I would love to have them for potential use in tne book. With a credit of course.

Thank you
Friday 23 October 2015 3.40pm
Can't add anything in terms of info, Neil, but I'd love to read your book when finished, particularly the chapters on Bermondsey and Southwark. Please keep the forum updated.
Friday 23 October 2015 9.21pm
My Nan and great grandparents lived in a block on Dante Road and were sort of bombed out. Sort of bombed out as their block was destroyed by a crate of incendiary devices which hadn't opened and didn't ignite but smashed through the building.

That's the only (admittedly slightly boring) Southwark war story I know!
Saturday 24 October 2015 9.03am
My friends parents were bombed in the war and some paintings or sentimental things disappeared , thirty years later her brother saw them on sale and bought them!
Sunday 25 October 2015 3.49pm
Thanks guys I like the story of the IBs crashing into that property. I will try and track down the incident. The book should be next September

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: