Venison pies

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 1 November 2015 9.56pm
Can somebody help me please? I used to buy venison pies from a stall in Borough Market but they have moved out. Is there anywhere else in the area that sells them? I know there is Pie Minister but the ones I bought were different to those.

I buy them for someone else and so I don't really know about this sort of thing! Would Maltby Street sell them?

Thanks
Sunday 1 November 2015 10.17pm
Greensmiths in Lower Marsh?

Worth a look.
Monday 2 November 2015 12.36am
Thanks Boroughonion - tried there, didn't have them. I bet Henry VIII didn't have this problem :-)
Monday 2 November 2015 10.09am
Not venison but an excellent substitute - Charlie Bigham's steak and ale pie. I buy mine at Sainsbury's in The Cut. They cost 7.50 for two and come in their own individual earthenware dish ready to be cooked, 30 minutes in the oven and ready to be served and eaten.

They are the best steak pies I have ever bought they have a rich gravy and more solid pieces of steak than any own brand supermarket pie (not hard to do), the meat is tender and the pastry flaky. I love 'em.

I think a lot of people must be put off buying them when they see the price and do not realise the box contains two pies, still not cheap but delicious.

My name is not Charlie Bigham.
Monday 2 November 2015 7.49pm
Thanks bunhouse - I'll give them a go but he's a die-hard game pie kinda guy. Personally I prefer a quorn burger :-))
Monday 2 November 2015 10.58pm
I love venison, but beef, lamb or pork aren't suitable substitutes: horse meat is the way to go if one wants something similar.
Tuesday 3 November 2015 8.41am
Thanks Jules I'll pass that on - he can get his own horse pies!
Wednesday 4 November 2015 10.26pm
If it was Sillfield farms,I think they have an arrangement for customers to collect mail order collections from shellseekers,who also operate in Borough market
Thursday 5 November 2015 11.15am
nigel wrote:
If it was Sillfield farms,I think they have an arrangement for customers to collect mail order collections from shellseekers,who also operate in Borough market

Sillfield have their own stall in Borough Market, but I don't think they have pies. Have you tried The Ginger Pig? - can't guarantee they have venison, but there's a pretty big range of pies on offer.
Thursday 5 November 2015 11.55am
Sillfield no longer have their stall. They closed up a week or two ago.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: