Dustmen

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 November 2015 9.40am
I think our dustmen are wonderful, they go behind railings move brown, blue bins to get to green rubbish bins, and all with a smile and a cheery Morning ..And they put them back! A far cry from Derbyshire where the bin has to be placed as near to kerb as possible else it won't be collected!

In fact when my daughter visited she was pulling out the bin she was astonished when dustman said 'that's alright love, I'll do it for you' emptied it and replaced it, the look on her face was priceless!

So thank you Dustmen.
Friday 20 November 2015 9.57am
Hear, hear. We have Eastern European women regularly ripping open the bags to gain access to clothing and this leaves the bags all ripped open with a hole in the bottom. The dustmen take it in their stride, even though rubbish leaks as they lift them, and they pick up all the bits that fall out and leave it looking lovely. Elsewhere (outside of Southwark) they might refuse to collect them unless they were re-bagged but not here. They're always cheery and smiley. Thank you!
Friday 20 November 2015 6.47pm
I wholeheartedly agree - Southwark Council do a wonderful job of keeping the streets clean. I've walked past piles of dog poo which magically disappear the next day. The bins are always emptied, the streets swept and the recycling taken away very efficiently every week. If I ask for more clear bags they arrive the next day. The dustmen are always cheery and round here they even wave and say hello to the kids in the nursery as well as little me ;-)
You can't fault them so well done.
Saturday 21 November 2015 10.46am
I agree, and I think Southwark Council's re-cycling is excellent too. No sorting out of recyclable materials and a long list of what can be included. Their bulk waste collection policy is excellent too, unfortunately this is going to change and they are planning to charge 16 to collect furniture etc. BIG mistake IMO as it will lead to fly-tipping which will end up more costly to remove.
Saturday 21 November 2015 12.38pm
Karen I wrote:
Their bulk waste collection policy is excellent too, unfortunately this is going to change and they are planning to charge 16 to collect furniture etc. BIG mistake IMO as it will lead to fly-tipping which will end up more costly to remove.

I agree Karen, it's a bad move. Southwark will be littered with dumped furniture, white goods etc. But it's odd that it jumps from nothing to 16 quid - why not a fiver or a tenner? It was the same with the garages, they went from 5 to 18 in one fell swoop.
Sunday 22 November 2015 8.10pm
Karen they do this already in Derby ,when you phone to arrange collection you have to pay before any date for collection takes place. In poor areas where a large percentage have no money, or even car or vans to take large stuff to council tip which is a fair way to drive a lot of stuff gets dumped on the street.

In Southwark what will happen is that any one who has furniture to be removed will dump it at the paladin bins or Shute doors on the nearest council block, where the removal will come under housing budget costs....any fridges,washing machines etc. will be snapped up by scrap dealers!
Tuesday 24 November 2015 9.02pm
Yes, I think lots of rubbish will be left on council estates by people who don't live on the estate.
Friday 27 November 2015 9.43pm
Hello, it seems to me that this is already happening (people dumping things/rubbish near estate bins). I live in a Southwark-managed building and believe I've seen this... And the public recycling bins by Mint St park can be a mess (not the Council's fault in my view).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: