Petrol garages in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 29 November 2015 4.16pm
There is a dearth of petrol garages in SE1 these days. At one stage the Old Kent Road from McDonald's (going towards the Elephant) had four petrol garages. It now has only Tesco. All those in the vicinity have also closed.

ASDA wants to open a small self-service petrol station at its Old Kent Road store. There was originally a Shell garage virtually right next door in any event. An objection has been made by a property developer who owns land in the adjacent street as they believe, inter alia, it will reduce the value of any houses they build there.

I think a bit more choice (and competition) of petrol stations in the area would be good for the motorist. Am I in a minority?
Sunday 29 November 2015 5.23pm
Let's hope Asda gets approval for petrol garage. Sure there used to be two in grange rd., years ago...one in walworth rd.gone. There's one in Kew Kent rd. and in great Suffolk street? Perhaps if Asdas plan gets knocked back its because of politics that want fewer cars on the road? Or more people on buses Gavin ?
Sunday 29 November 2015 5.27pm
I remember the two in Grange Road. The Esso was the Baxter garage, if I remember rightly, and used to close early. The Texaco basically opposite was 24 hours. Can't remember one in Great Suffolk Street but thinking through it in my mind's eye I can imagine one there, perhaps where the fish and chip shop is. Of course the BP so popular with the black cab drivers up that way (Great Guildford Street?) has also closed, but they still seem to park up there.

I think your point about more people on buses and fewer cars could well be right, Jan. People don't seem to be listening/doing it though.
Sunday 29 November 2015 6.53pm
I may well be confused Gavin...with the two Greats! Will now have to google map it, but sure your right....😀
Sunday 29 November 2015 7.37pm
Sorry, Jan, I'm wrong. The BP (or Texaco as it actually was!) is/was on Great Suffolk Street, not Great Guildford. It's me mixing up my Greats! It's the one where the cab drivers like to go - and still do.
Sunday 29 November 2015 9.17pm
Just as I was practising me grovelling stupidity! Lol it makes a change I can tell you! X
Sunday 29 November 2015 11.36pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Sorry, Jan, I'm wrong. The BP (or Texaco as it actually was!) is/was on Great Suffolk Street, not Great Guildford. It's me mixing up my Greats! It's the one where the cab drivers like to go - and still do.

The garage in Gt. Suffolk St. has been closed for fuel sales for a long time.
The taxis you see entering and leaving there are driven by guys who have used the toilet facilities there, or made use of the taxi parts store in there.
There again, as we are all alleged to be loaded, maybe some of the guys are parked there while they indulge in Veal Saltimbocca in Union Street Café.
Monday 30 November 2015 6.58am
When I moved to the area there were two fuel stations in borough , one opposite the police station which is now student accommodation and the other one was next the library , I think where the British legion building is.
I tend to use tesco but they are not as cheap as a shell garage on black health , so a little more competition wouldn't be a bad thing.
Monday 30 November 2015 5.16pm
Been sitting here all day Webberman trying to think of a petrol station near British legion, how long ago was that? I needed a mental project today and patrol stations were top of the list!
Monday 30 November 2015 5.21pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Been sitting here all day Webberman trying to think of a petrol station near British legion, how long ago was that? I needed a mental project today and patrol stations were top of the list!

I think it was still there in 1987 but had closed down.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network