Man screaming in the evening - 239 Long Lane area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 1 December 2015 12.31am
Hi all,

We are residents in tanners yard, 239 long lane and since A few nights ago we can hear a man screaming/wailing angrily but also sounding distressed.

We were wondering if anyone else had heard it too and whether we should be worried? It's intermittent, and stops around midnight. It's a really stressful sound, and we can hear it from inside our flat but it doesn't appear to be coming from our block.
Tuesday 1 December 2015 9.30am
My initial thought was to ring police in case he was being attacked, if it is a regular occurrence and you can't tell where it's coming from you can only pray that it's some poor mentally ill person. It's a terrible position to be in, if I hear screams I Have to get up and check to see...how sad.
Sin
Wednesday 2 December 2015 10.21am
Hi Della,
I'm living at 239 Long Lane as well and been hearing this screaming over the last few weeks too (probably 4 weeks?), thinking it could be foxes. However, last night it appears to be louder and definitely sounding more like a "human/man" screaming or being distressed. (I googled to check if maybe this was a known thing on Long Lane and found your post!)

It's very difficult to tell where the screaming is coming from, feels like from the car park? What do you think?

If there is screaming again tonight, I was thinking of calling the non emergency police hotline, to see what can be done.

Anyway, hope it's nothing to worried about.
Wednesday 2 December 2015 11.37am
Hi Sin,

I didnt even think of foxes, as to me it always sounded like a man, but then again I have no idea what a fox would sound like!

We called 101 on Monday evening and a policeman came out around midnight but by that time it had stopped..but he did say if you hear it again, give them another call.

Out of interest, which block are you? Maybe we can work out where it may be coming from if you can hear it too! We are in the first block on the left of the court yard when you come out of the entrance into the court yard.
Sin
Wednesday 2 December 2015 12.51pm
I'm in the building before entering the courtyard, on the right. I usually hear the screaming when our court yard facing windows are open so can't really hear it inside my flat.

Not sure if that helps, but I've also heard a woman screaming around 2 months ago but only on one night and coming from above our flat. When I went to check where it was coming from upstairs, it has stopped.
Wednesday 2 December 2015 8.29pm
This has been brought up before on here, try search for: becket house screaming , same area? I'm on a phone now which doesn't seem to work with the search.
Monday 23 May 2016 6.10pm
There was sustained screaming last night on Long Lane - definitely a distressed male voice - just wondering if anyone had got to the bottom of this mystery?
Wednesday 25 May 2016 11.47pm
Cook wrote:
There was sustained screaming last night on Long Lane - definitely a distressed male voice - just wondering if anyone had got to the bottom of this mystery?

A leap in the dark here, but since I retired, the enemy leaves a list of chores for me most days.
Sometimes she gets home and says, "Have you hoovered?"
As we have a Dyson, and a Vax, I say, "No, I can't, we don't have a Hoover."
Somehow, this mysteriously propels her into a rage every time, you'd think that she'd be used to it by now, and she attempts to terminate my life, but I didn't think anyone would hear my screams from Rotherhithe in Long Lane.
Thursday 26 May 2016 12.01am
LOL Tom pepper - was just about at the beginning of your post to call social services
Thursday 26 May 2016 9.36am
Tom Pepper wrote:
Cook wrote:

A leap in the dark here, but since I retired, the enemy leaves a list of chores for me most days.
Sometimes she gets home and says, "Have you hoovered?"
As we have a Dyson, and a Vax, I say, "No, I can't, we don't have a Hoover."
Somehow, this mysteriously propels her into a rage every time, you'd think that she'd be used to it by now, and she attempts to terminate my life, but I didn't think anyone would hear my screams from Rotherhithe in Long Lane.

Your alleged 'enemy', in common with most people in the Western world, doubtless knows that according to the Oxford dictionary, hoover is accepted as a verb or noun.
e.g. He hoovered the stairs, or, do you have a hoover?, (meaning a vacuum cleaner)
It can also be used to describe the eating habits of a greedy person,
e.g. she hoovered up a large apple pie .
Tell your long suffering 'enemy', that if she needs someone to hold you down while she decapitates you, to give me a call.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: