Long Lane Pavements

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 9 December 2015 11.00am
Hi
Has anyone noticed the general poor state of repair of the pavements on Long Lane?

I've raised the issue with TLF - the council advised that the street is the responsibility of TFL rather than them. Its very bad generally, but particularly poor around the corner of Bermondsey street, Western Street (even before the demolition work there) and outside Tesco's.

So far its been impossible to get a response from TFL - so if anyone else has issues, please can you raise it with them too - and based on any feedback I'm going to raise with our Councillor and the Assembly, to see if we can get something done.
Thanks
Wednesday 9 December 2015 1.04pm
Southwark is wrong - Long Lane is not a TfL road

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 December 2015 4.58pm
I think I saw a sign last night at the Long Lane / Borough High Street junction that stated that Long Lane would be closed between 14-18 December for resurfacing works? Was just a glance as I went by in a taxi, so could be mistaken...
Thursday 10 December 2015 9.39am
I've emailed the council to double check and ask what plans for the pavements there are.
Thursday 10 December 2015 10.19am
it will be closed at the end/ junction with GDS as they are resurfacing from 8pm to 5 am not whole of sreet
Friday 11 December 2015 9.53am
The road surface (at least heading East) is absolutely terrible. Full of pot holes from the Weston St junction all the way to Bermondsey St. It's a bit of a menace cycling that section, especially at this time of year.
Friday 11 December 2015 1.08pm
Same problems in Nicholson Street, Chancel Street and Burrell Street. All three roads plus kerbs and pavements were decimated during the construction of 240 Blackfriars Road. Great Portland Estates and their various contractors, such as Mace, weren't obliged to repair the damage they caused, because Southwark Council said they couldn't prove who had caused it. No brainer really.

Burrell Street was shut from Blackfriars Road end for at least three years and the only access to the site was via Nicholson Street and Chancel Street, then left into the small section of Burrell which remained open. Only one means of access for 1000s of HGVs, heavy plant, crane deliveries, concrete lorries, site material deliveries and general construction traffic over a three year period - what exactly needed to be proved? It's a disgrace that developers aren't compelled to repair all damage in the area immediately surrounding their sites. Part of the planning application should require developers to provide photographic evidence of the state of the roads and pavements in all the streets in close proximity to the proposed development, so that Southwark Council could prove what damage had been caused during construction and compel developers to pay for the repairs.
Friday 11 December 2015 4.09pm
Brave to cycle along Long Lane traffic runs really fast on such a narrow (and pot-holed) road. Those 20mph signs are a total waste of metal as effective as putting up 'do not shop-lift' signs to deter shop-lifters
Friday 11 December 2015 5.52pm
richard_badger wrote:
Brave to cycle along Long Lane traffic runs really fast on such a narrow (and pot-holed) road. Those 20mph signs are a total waste of metal as effective as putting up 'do not shop-lift' signs to deter shop-lifters

I know - but due to the pot-holes I tend to ride far enough from the kerb that very little tries to overtake without a long clear stretch.

And the alternative is to go down New Kent Road and back up TBR, or to go along Tooley Street which isn't really much better.
Friday 11 December 2015 6.47pm
richard_badger wrote:
...Those 20mph signs are a total waste of metal as effective as putting up 'do not shop-lift' signs to deter shop-lifters
Agreed. The complete failure (or perhaps "refusal" would be more accurate) on the part of the boys in blue to take any enforcement action on the 20 mph limits is scandalous. On Long Lane most motorised traffic, when able, exceeds 30 mph never mind 20 - and that includes buses.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: