How noisy is Shad Thames really at night?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 December 2015 11.16am
I will move to London next year. Been there many times on business trip already, but not familiar to residential areas. So far Shad Thames seems my favourite location to live, cause I`d like to be close to City and favour warehouse or factory conversions. I am also considering Wapping & Limehouse and some Clerkenwell areas.

Read already lot of topics here about noise, but asking again to get more complete picture. How noisy is Shad Thames area between River and Gainsford Street at nights? Is it more probable to get sleep between 00.00-07.00 usually and few noise incidents to happen or vice versa? For example, if I have 1st of 2nd floor bedroom with windows to street side? Are things better for higher floors or riverside bedrooms?

I know this is bar and restaurant area ... so not especially silent, can expect some drunks to cry sometimes, but how disruptive noisy people can be?
Wednesday 16 December 2015 4.31pm
I live in shad Thames and don't find it to be a problem at all. On a Friday night you hear noises from the bars on the river but no more then anywhere else in london
Thursday 17 December 2015 9.39am
It's fine. Every now and then you get woken up my some berk singing (the sound echoes down the streets), but I probably only notice it because the area is so quiet on the whole- if that makes sense.
Thursday 17 December 2015 6.58pm
Summer weekends tend to bring their share of drunken noise/shouting on most streets, but that stopped around September time and things have been very quiet up until recently when the pubs became full of festive drinkers.

There's a fair amount of road noise though. depending on which street you choose. The ones which go down towards the river (e.g. Curlew Street) aren't wide enough for lorries/Ocado vans to turn so there's a lot of beeping as they reverse out instead. It's not constant, but the noise starts up pretty much every day at 7am and stops at 10/11pm ish.

We looked at a flat in Ginger Apartments where the bedroom window opened onto Curlew Street. The current tenants said they hated living there because it was too noisy, so choose carefully and spend some time outside getting a feel for the area.

Having said that, overall given the location I think it's pretty quiet here.
Friday 18 December 2015 9.56am
We live in The Circle on Queen Elizabeth Street overlooking an internal courtyard. Apart from low-flying helicopters in the summer, and the occasional siren in the distance, it couldn't be quieter.
Monday 21 December 2015 1.54pm
Noise in Shad Thames:
The loud drunks are generally gone by midnight and generally use the Shad Thames to get East or West.
You get occasional early hours drunks staggering and singing their way back to (I assume) Bermondsey and beyond.
We have been woken as often by break-ins in progress as we have by drunks.

Note: Builders and their material deliveries start at 08:00, there is a lot of that going on; they are by far the loudest and most common annoyance. This includes Saturdays and if you’re unlucky Sundays too.

Hope that helps.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: