Bulk refuse collection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 29 December 2015 8.33am
Tried to organise a collection with Southwark to collect old bulky furniture last week and learned that they now charge 16 for the service! I always thought we were quite lucky in Southwark to get this for free considering other LA charge but surprised it would be so high so soon.

On a seperate note, we got a live Christmas tree for the first time in a few years. Any suggestions on how to dispose of it properly. Thank you
Tuesday 29 December 2015 11.40am
As I said on here a few weeks earlier, furniture will be dumped on council estates and it will be removed out of housing budget!
Tuesday 29 December 2015 11.42am
I'm not surprised they are starting to charge, although another service they provide that is now charged for in addition to our council tax.

Although it is cheaper than the commercial alternatives when I google (junkwize etc), so probably worth it if you can save up for the 10 items that they'll pick up - or negotiate a discount.

Alternatively you can take it to the recycling place on the Old Kent road - if you can get it there. They take wood and garden waste, so I assume Christmas trees are OK - you need ID to prove you're a Southwark resident.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2918/recycling_and_reuse_centre_devon_street_larger_map_pdf

If its any good / reusable - try freecycle (or similar), people will come and pick things up - we've got rid of reusable furniture etc via that - even some fairly beaten up old stuff - a picture helps, and you'll be amazed what people will gather!

We're in a block of flats, and we have an arrangement where we leave items in the basement and every so often the landlord clears it out (obviously the cost goes on our service charge - but most people take advantage of it)- so if you're in a block - and can make a similar arrangement it can be cost effective - especially if you have a clear out day for the block.
Tuesday 29 December 2015 11.53am
When I was a councillor years ago, we did the maths, and it was cheaper to collect bulk waste free, than having to respond to dumping call-outs.
I fear this will be a false economy, and we will end up with a permanent situation of old sofas dumped on our housing estates for ages.
Be interesting to see how it pans-out (unless you live on a housing estate)
Tuesday 29 December 2015 5.39pm
Couldn't agree more Graham. I think we will see a lot of fly-tipping in Southwark over the next few months as people make space for their January sales items.
Tuesday 29 December 2015 6.34pm
...and housing estate residents will bear the brunt of it.
Those living in social housing will probably pick up the bill for this decision.
Once again, those least well placed to afford it will pay....
Tuesday 29 December 2015 6.49pm
graham wrote:
...and housing estate residents will bear the brunt of it.
Those living in social housing will probably pick up the bill for this decision.
Once again, those least well placed to afford it will pay....
I think that is a tad harsh, Graham. As a leaseholder, my service charges will increase thanks to the flytipping charges which my landlord will pass on. It is not only those in social housing who pick up the bill.
Tuesday 29 December 2015 6.53pm
ddam wrote:
T
On a seperate note, we got a live Christmas tree for the first time in a few years. Any suggestions on how to dispose of it properly. Thank you

According to the helpful Southwark Council website, we can add Christmas trees to regular brown bin (food & garden waste) collections. If you don't have a brown bin, then you can email environment@southwark.gov.uk and request an unscheduled adhoc garden waste collection. http://www.southwark.gov.uk/news/article/1519/christmas_opening_hours
Wednesday 30 December 2015 3.07am
The Bin area next to Benson house seems to have become a dumping ground of late. Today in there i saw a double matress , a metal table frame , a large glass tabletop , a wooden pallett and for some reason the refuse collecters (i assume it was them) have left one of the large wheelie bins upside down ??
Wednesday 30 December 2015 8.36am
I think that area of Benson House will become very vulnerable. Perhaps you should contact Grainger and let them know because they are the ones that will have to foot the bill.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: