Car theft alert - Tabard Street/Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 January 2016 9.53am
Came out to the car this morning to discover that overnight it had been broken into, with the result that the driver door will need to be replaced. It clearly happened sometime between 9.00 pm last night and, say, 7.00 am this morning.

The driver door was literally bent back to such an extent that it would have been possible to open the door by getting a hand inside. There was nothing in the car and so nothing was stolen, but obviously the damage is going to cost money to repair. I think it's because I had satellite navigation cradle on the windscreen, as the inside of the car was ransacked with the thieves presumably looking for the sat-nav itself - I never keep it in the car. Not a good start to 2016.
Monday 4 January 2016 11.36am
Same thing happened to me recently in King James Street between 5am and 9am, took it to Milenium Garage who were able to bend the door back into shape. They said that they'd had half a dozen other cars that had been done the same time.
Monday 4 January 2016 11.59am
Sorry to hear you've had it too, Modman. Glad you've been able to have it done without too much expense or replacing the door. On getting back this morning, I notice that one other car in the road seems to have been done and theirs seems to be even worse than ours!

I took mine to good old General Autos and the door has been similarly bent back, but it is sadly only temporary and will need a complete replacement as the door is too badly damaged. The guy in the garage told me they had taken a call from someone in Pope Street this morning with an identical MO. Absolute scum, whoever they are!
Monday 4 January 2016 12.26pm
It was the second time mine had been done Gavin, same thing happened about 5 years ago so they obviusly target areas from time to time. Luckily I too don't keep anything in the car, it's the annoyance more than anything.
Monday 4 January 2016 2.50pm
As you say, Modman, it's the annoyance and the complete disrespect for other people/their things. Police were very good, including coming round, but sadly not much they can do. Annoyingly, the CCTV outside has a blip and stopped recording. Here's to hoping that it won't happen again, or at least for another few years! Best wishes, Gavin.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: