Unwanted linen

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 4 January 2016 10.58am
Hi all,

I'm doing a clear out and have lots of unwanted bed linen. It's been used but is clean but I don't think a charity shop will take it as it's a bit tired looking. Does anyone know of any local charities that would be able to find a use for them?

Thanks very much,

Monday 4 January 2016 11.18am
There is St.Mungos you could try, or perhaps Shelter for anyone getting rehoused? There is another place near snowfields will put thinking cap on as minds gone blank!
Monday 4 January 2016 1.05pm
Monday 4 January 2016 2.06pm
I think Jan is thinking of The Manna Society - really worthwhile charity. We gave them masses of furniture when we moved offices recently and I'm pretty sure they'll take bed linen as well.
Monday 4 January 2016 4.15pm
That's the one Suziq! Manna from heaven is the sweetest charity..
Monday 4 January 2016 5.20pm
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies - sadly the Manna Society and St Mungos don't need bedlinen.

If anyone can think of any other places that might want them, do let me know!

Monday 4 January 2016 7.29pm
Losing its yard, garage, garden and furniture store in the process, THE MANNA CENTRE has itself been 're-housed' to Weston Street by the Catholic Church's 'snout-in-the-trough' Melior Street development [entrance and all for-profit residential and accompanying retail on Snowsfields but named 'Melior' for the purposes of LBS Planning albeit not the subsequent marketing not least so that the scheme's immediate neighbours were deemed to a homeless centre and an immigration centre with therefore little basis for objection! :-( ]

More directly answering Amy's original question :-) …

THE WHITECHAPEL MISSION (opposite the Sainsbury's superstar and next to the Royal London hospital) has a wish list that is always worth watching currently "managing" for sheets, but "desperately needing" sleeping bags. Their mission premised on the belief that "The Whitechapel Mission is always grateful to receive any donations in support of our work. We do not dictate what we are prepared to accept. If you feel that the gift will be useful in our work with homeless people, then we will be grateful to receive." Tony and Sue and their team in fact sell on as rags by the tonne any linens they cannot use or store

Meanwhile, there is also a GIVE AND TAKE DAY IN THE CITY THIS SATURDAY (St Giles Church, in the middle of the Barbican Centre) where anyone is welcome to drop-off household items including soft furnishings and linens between 10am and noon

Amy, my other suggestion would be to advertise them on FREECYCLE or GUMTREE under "FREEBIES" as either bed linen, or dust sheets for new year DIY, or fabric for arts and crafts… make-do curtains or curtain liners to help keep out the cold...
Monday 4 January 2016 9.43pm
Most charity shops will take fabric in any form because they sell it by weight. Even the oldest of clothing is taken, just let them know you don't think it is sell-able so they don't waste time sorting through it. Just ring and check first.
Tuesday 5 January 2016 8.52am
On the Manna Website it states the address JB still as Melior St ! Heaven help the poor blokes to go the wrong address and find it closed..
Tuesday 5 January 2016 11.29am
Ask pet shelters/vets if they can use it for bedding for poorly poochies and kitties in a pickle?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: