Providence Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 January 2016 11.42am
Hi - appreciate any thoughts on the pros and cons of living in providence square . Any concerns on safety , after dark , in the area . Thanks in anticipation . Tony
Monday 4 January 2016 5.35pm
I have lived at Providence Square for the past 12 years. It is a superb development with well maintained water gardens of a size you are unlikely to find anywhere else in London. It has a 24-hour concierge, full-time gardener and full-time painter and decorator. Communal areas are cleaned daily. The estate manager is on site three full days a week.

There is a very active Residents' Association and some six years ago the development achieved Right to Manage. The RTM Directors are all leaseholders at the development and do a great job in ensuring the development is maintained to a high standard.

The development has just been converted to LED lighting, which should keep electricity costs well down. Routine external redecoration has recently been undertaken, and will be resumed in April.

Security at the gated development is good (excellent cctv) and the surrounding area is no more unsafe than anywhere else in London. However, there are problems with youths on bicycles snatching mobile phones out of people's hands in the area of Bermondsey tube station and London Bridge station. That is really the only security issue to worry about.
Monday 4 January 2016 9.01pm
No safety issues but as the previous respondent has indicated the RTM Directors are rather keen on spending money.

Not really a problem if you intend to rent, but not so ideal if you are buying a flat as you'll end up paying for various 'initiatives' via the service charge.

Still in fairness whilst the charges are not as low possible, they aren't as high an some comparable developments. Who like us are saddled with a management company that does rather well out of us.

Recent notable expenses include 4K on some really quite hideous Japanese style gates which are apparently designed to deter incursions in to the garden by urban foxes.
Tuesday 5 January 2016 2.31pm
I've lived at P Sq for over 10 years. It is a lovely place to live, very well run and the costs are low for the area.
I agree that there is sometimes (what may appear to be unnecessary) spending but there are reasons, for example to deal with an issue which affects only a small number of people.
We are not saddled with the managing agent, they are appointed by the RTM directors, following the obtaining of RTM.
Tuesday 5 January 2016 10.16pm
garry hughes wrote:
I've lived at P Sq for over 10 years. It is a lovely place to live, very well run and the costs are low for the area.
I agree that there is sometimes (what may appear to be unnecessary) spending but there are reasons, for example to deal with an issue which affects only a small number of people.
We are not saddled with the managing agent, they are appointed by the RTM directors, following the obtaining of RTM.

Garry, you are incorrect.

The RTM did not appoint the managing agent, we actually tried to remove them and they made it clear that they would sue us in order to maintain their gravy train.

There is no justification for spending 4K on some naff gates, regardless of the intended function they represent poor value for money.

The RTM Directors do not represent the views of all residents, it is a cabal.
Wednesday 6 January 2016 8.32am
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it .
Wednesday 6 January 2016 10.56am
Hi Jonny

The RTM Directors employ the development manager at Providence Square and could replace them at any time. A few years ago we undertook a comprehensive invitation to tender for the management of the development and decided to remain with the existing management company based on their level of service and cost.

Because of the number of flats at the development the cost of the Japanese-style gate worked out at about 17 per flat. We had a problem with foxes eating our fish and ducks and even entering ground floor flats if the patio door was left open. The gate now keeps the foxes out. I think most people like the gate, but some with a side view of it are not so keen. The installation and cost was agreed by residents.

The RTM directors have approved expenditure that enhances the estate but they generally seek to keep costs down. Expenditure on improvements (as distinct from general maintenance) will be discussed with residents in advance. Depending on what is proposed, this discussion will either be with members of the Residents' Association (110 flats) or with all flats at the development.

I hope this helps.
Wednesday 6 January 2016 6.43pm
Colin,

I'm aware of the decision to retain the managing agent but it still remains the case that they did threaten to go legal if we booted them out... Whilst we could no doubt change agent, they're all just as terrible as each other, so I'm willing to accept that it is better the devil you know.

I don't think the gates are in anysense attractive and doubt that they perform the asserted function. Foxes are still able to access the gardens regardless, it's a nonsense.

I don't recall being consulted or asked to agree to the expenditure? But it wouldn't have made any difference anyhow, as the few make all the decisions.

17 a resident, is precisely that sort of thinking that leads you and the other RTM directors to conclude its ok to blow 4K on the construction and install of some simple yet amazingly ugly gates.
Wednesday 6 January 2016 9.21pm
Jonny

I don't know why you think "it still remains the case that they did threaten to go legal if we booted them out...". You are wrong. Happy to continue our dialogue direct (colinhp@btinternet.com)
Friday 8 January 2016 7.56am
ColinHP wrote:
Jonny
I don't know why you think "it still remains the case that they did threaten to go legal if we booted them out...". You are wrong. Happy to continue our dialogue direct (colinhp@btinternet.com)

It relates to the period in which there was a collective effort (including a call for funds) in relation to us obtaining the freehold. My recollection is quite clear, the risk of litigation was laid bare for all. But this exchange is beyond tiresome.

Better to focus on the threat posed by urban foxes to ducks and fish...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: