Any thoughts about the new Housing Bill anyone?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 8 January 2016 2.02pm

Related news & features

Friday 8 January 2016 2.36pm
A 20% discount an a 1 bed flat valued at 400K is still out of most peoples reach. It might work for areas outside SE England.

I thought the idea of slapping down to the buy-to-let market is a much better way towards normalising property prices and maybe making existing properties affordable. If that will ever make a huge impact in SE1 is debatable though.
Friday 8 January 2016 3.45pm
The Right to Buy point is not the most important aspect of the housing bill. Pay to Stay + the forced sell off of high value council housing is. The latter means that essentially all council housing in SE1 will be sold once vacant (meaning in SE1 there may never be council houses rented out again). The former helps to increase vacancies in order to speed up the sell off.
Saturday 9 January 2016 8.07am
I know if or rather when I pop my clogs the two bedroom property I live in will be sold due to local authorities having to make up the deficit in right to buy discounts for people. Now I honestly believe that right to buy in Southwark despite discount will be far beyond any ordinary persons income.

Years ago there was a scheme where Southwark would pay a sum of money for people to move out and buy homes, that was stopped as being too expensive. Rather than pay to stay , for say sixty thousand I will move out! Then my old house can be sold for in excess of half a million. Of course that will deplete housing stock even more but if in ten years time they'll sell it when I die the same will apply.
Saturday 9 January 2016 5.24pm
the housing bill is a disgrace and a mess.we want rent-control legislation put in place for housing and business , not a stupid housing bill that nobody agree to ,appart from the tories.
Saturday 9 January 2016 7.19pm
Absolutely horrible. Only positive is that it tightens up/regulates rogue landlords in the private sector, but I suppose that's needed because there'll be no social housing stock left if/when the Bill receives assent.
Saturday 9 January 2016 8.58pm
There is so much wrong with the housing bill, it's clear that the Tories want to get rid of the remaining council housing. I think pay to stay is particularly evil, as people on fairly normal wages for London eg two people on 20k will have to pay a market rent. Everyone in London supports building more council housing, it really shows how out of touch MPs are if they don't get that. No wonder Sadiq Khan is ahead in the polls, despite his support for that stupid bridge.
Sunday 10 January 2016 12.37am
And if one is pinning ones hope on Mr Khan, good luck.
The best of the current competitors, perhaps, but quite possibly not the best for most Londoners

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 10 January 2016 7.56pm
I always liked Squeeze. Good on them.

Band Squeeze's 'message' for PM on Marr show
Band Squeeze's message for Cameron on Andrew Marr show.
Wednesday 13 January 2016 11.53am
The long-term effect of all this will be to push all the low-paid workers who service the rich to the periphery of the city. This replicates the Paris model, except that (as I understand it) they have at least retained social housing.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: