Hot Italian (Blue Fin Building) is shuttered

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 10 January 2016 12.00pm
I felt a little sorry for these guys - spent months refurbishing and finally opening to lukewarm success. Then another Italian place opens right across the way (Capricci) at the base of one of the Neo Bankside pavilions. There's also Carluccio's and Coco di Mama on Southwark Street.

That particular storefront has had three failed businesses to my recollection (Amano Cafe, Caffe Fratelli(?), Hot Italian)
Monday 11 January 2016 10.00am
Yes, a shame it's closed, but to be fair they never really had it right even before the other Italian places opened. It felt as though the owners couldn't make up their minds whether it was going to be a restaurant, or a takeaway place, or a bar and they never had a dedicated website - if you searched for them it was still Fratelli's, which seemed odd to say the least.

We used to go in for a drink sometimes on our way home from work, but there was never any certainty it would still be open at 5.30 / 6pm. If you want to build up trade you really need to be open when potential customers expect you to be open, rather than just shutting at random times. That said, as mentioned above, none of the previous businesses were able to make a go of it on that site either.
Monday 11 January 2016 2.01pm
I can't believe it's to do with the site given that it's surrounded by an ever-growing number of other eating places that generally seem to be doing good business.

There might be slightly more weekday footfall in the "street" between Camino and Tonkotsu (during the week, in particular, I guess), but the ex-Hot Italian site is far from deserted (and I'd imagine they would pay a slightly lower rent to counteract that.

The right food & service at the right price seems to do well there. Leon's been a fixture for ages, and Tsuru/Tonkotsu has also been there for a few years.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 March 2016 9.18am
Looks like it's going to be Wagamama

http://app.southwark.gov.uk/Licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=851569

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 March 2016 2.17pm
OMG - Blue Fin, wish i was back in there working instead of being exiled in Canary W

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network