Empty shops in Lower Marsh

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 10 January 2016 4.16pm
what is going on in lower marsh ? gregg has closed down , the card shop is going,and the travel bookshop,also radio days is leaving the street .the market has completely disappeared.empty shop everywhere.this used to be an amazing street till few years back. the place should be heaving with people,what a misery.
Sunday 10 January 2016 8.41pm
I blame lack of interest and intent by Lambeth Council when they handed over the running of the market to a commercial enterprise. This has resulted in the market as we locals knew it becoming nothing more than a street selling foreign food to office workers which means that the " market" now operates purely for a lunchtime trade. Thus the traders who have operated on the street from their shops for years and years gain nothing from workers munching on their streetfood as they wend their way back to work.
Millions of pounds were spent repaving the street and adding special points along the roadway from which street traders could obtain water for hygienic purposes and the necessary clean power from the electricity points. To my knowledge none of the streetfood traders use these facilities.
The shops are all suffering from worsening trade and cannot afford rent rises that the landlord may require them to pay and may decide to end their lease with their landlord because their position has become untenable.
It may well suit the landlord to have empty premises either to sell on to property developers or to develop them himself.
The rumour is that the block of shops from Greggs to Honour are all vulnerable. I do hope not because the loss of any business makes it harder for those remaining to survive.

Perhaps that has been the intention all along.
pg
Monday 18 January 2016 11.05pm
Devastating about Radio Days!! Incredibly sad for Lower Marsh. And for London. What an institution. The window displays are brilliant works of art, unique in London, the clothes and the clientele totally idiosyncratic and very special. A true independent in every sense of the word. Gutted. They soundtrack the street ... and keep it swinging.
Co-op arriving on the street, to join three mini-Sainsbury's in less than 1/4 of a mile, and Radio Days leaving.
Why can't these things at least co-exist.
Meh.
Tuesday 26 January 2016 12.18am
I was chatting to a couple of the shop keepers a few weeks ago who said the traders, shops and stalls, feel very let down by Lambeth council. There is the feeling the council is happy to see the street as a market, shopping and office space die and for it to be taken over by luxury apartments and hotels, a transient community which makes few demands. I guess as in closing the library that's all less of a bother and expense for Lambeth Council.
Tuesday 26 January 2016 1.46pm
Agree that it's so sad to be losing places like Radio Days - those independents make such a difference... Does anyone know if they're moving or closing up completely?
pg
Tuesday 26 January 2016 11.09pm
I spoke with Lee who owns Radio Days and he said that they are closing the shop and it won't be moving anywhere. He said he might at a later date explore an online version of the business.
Good luck to him whatever he gets up to. And, if he reads this site, thank you for all the amazing window displays and all of the character you have given to the area. And totally agree with him that someone else will need to keep up the wonderful music.
Wednesday 27 January 2016 7.31pm
The motivation is to make the street more up market. The market stalls will be pushed out and new "architect" designed stalls will be added with the likes of Konditor & Cook taking their place. They want it as a higher end foody type street.
Thursday 28 January 2016 10.11am
ljgiles wrote:
The motivation is to make the street more up market. The market stalls will be pushed out and new "architect" designed stalls will be added with the likes of Konditor & Cook taking their place. They want it as a higher end foody type street.

The Borough Market it is not and never will be. Some street traders are already using the redesigned stall but are not using the water and electricity points built into the newly paved street at a cost of millions.
This post is concerned , primarily, with the vacant shops and the increase as such and the reasons for that increase.
I do not know how much of the property in the street is owned by one landlord but I expect it to be the majority on the northern side where most of the shops are.
I have been told that Chariots is moving out later in the year ( 8 months), his original plan was to build above the present premises but now the landlord wants to develop it as a higher rise block of flats and may demolish that stretch from Boots to the bakers.
I believe there may be conflict between landlords and WDG on the way to go. Perhaps either side will choose to enlighten us very soon.
Thursday 28 January 2016 10.33am
I agree - not Borough Market. The market in Lower Marsh was way better than Borough Market until Lambeth destroyed it. The market ran from Waterloo Road to Westminster Bridge Road and had a fabulous vegetable stall near Iceland, there were stalls selling fabric, wool, household goods, electrical goods, CDs, clothes, shoes, jewellery, fruit, toiletries, flowers. In other words, a proper street market. A road with nothing but food stalls isn't a market, but Lambeth Council obviously thought otherwise when millions of pounds were spent and the original traders pushed out.
Thursday 28 January 2016 11.56am
It may not be symptomatic of Lower Marsh. I was reading an article about East street market recently and the number of stalls there have plummeted from 850 to just 130 in 12 years. I greatly miss the plants sections that they used to have every Sunday, nurseries were coming from all over the South East of England and you could find so many different things, trees, outdoor and indoor plants at unbeatable prices.
I was in Angel last weekend and the nice antiques market there (called Camden passage) has also shrank to almost nothing, lots of shops/stalls replaced by clothes shops, restaurants and cafes. The landlords of the remaining antiques/vintage shops have requested double or triple rents and are even asking for back increase on the past 2-3 years, the cheek! Shops like Annie's who have been there for over 25 years will be forced to leave and the cool vibe will soon disappear. All you can see is a long line of young kids queuing up for breakfast at a cool café.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: