Empty shops in Lower Marsh

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Sunday 12 March 2017 11.09pm
Thank you for your explanation, Bunhouse .I feel utterly depressed whenever I walk along there these days. No card shop, no friendly fruit and veg stallholder at the corner, the stall that sold really cheap, imperfect but fantastic quality clothes ( I still wear them, years later),the pet shop that was there many moons ago is but a dim memory ...Lower Marsh's heart and soul is, indeed, being sucked out steadily. What a wretched trick to have been played upon everyone.
Tuesday 14 March 2017 4.57pm
Having been into SDV recently I'm not really surprised it has closed down. I am sure the service is good and its nice to have long-standing family run businesses, but any business has to move with the times somewhat. The exterior was totally uninviting, with wire over the windows and the interior looks like it hasn't been touched for many many years, and is similarly uninviting. I don't want to appear callous, and I agree that it is a huge shame that so many shops are closing down on this street, but some effort has to be made on the part of the shop-keeper to adapt to changing tastes and the competition.
Tuesday 14 March 2017 6.05pm
It does appear, William, that you were not a customer of SDV's. During normal working hours the wire security grilles were removed. If they were up when you visited (I assume the purpose was to see what was being lost to shoppers or to take advantage of the 25% discounts on offer) you will appreciate the need for them after the recent robbery.
That is not to deny that the premises could have done with an uplift but the old fashioned, almost archaic, interior represented to their customers the good service and charm of such a business.
When were the first and last times you visited the shop, and did you spend any money on any of your visits?
Monday 27 March 2017 12.19pm
another one bites the dust
what the butler wore ,one of the best vintage shop in the area is going.
so sad
Wednesday 29 March 2017 1.04pm
max33 wrote:
another one bites the dust
what the butler wore ,one of the best vintage shop in the area is going.
so sad
Wednesday 29 March 2017 1.10pm
GONE
Thursday 30 March 2017 3.10pm
What a depressing thread this is. I remember when I first moved to Waterloo and heard about the market; I never saw it because I was working but I did use the shops on a weekend. The first time I was on holiday and went to the market, I thought all my birthdays had come at once. There was some great stalls and a fantastic atmosphere. Sadly, unless you want take-away food, you might just as well avoid this street now. I know things have to change but it is a shame that most of the changes in the Waterloo area are for the benefit of people who work in the area and not for those who live there.
Monday 3 April 2017 11.41pm
Went along Lower Marsh for the first time in about 2 years on Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised to find Lee (at 'Radio Days') is still open against all odds. The business closed for a few months in 2016 but was re-opened in September by popular demand. There is a plan for redevelopment in the pipeline but for now it's 'business as usual'. Go along and show your support for this mini oasis in the increasingly sanitised London shopping experience.
Tuesday 11 April 2017 9.12pm
SDV's premises now available to rent as a 'pop-up shop'

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-to-let/property-65739140.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 31 May 2017 3.24pm
In the absence of SDV Jewellers, can anyone recommend anywhere nearby to get a watch battery changed?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: