Bicycle mechanic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 14 January 2016 10.28am
Hello Folks

I'm looking for a bicycle mechanic who can service my Tern D24 Joe bike.
Anyone got a recommendation?

Dave
Thursday 14 January 2016 12.33pm
cant remember the name but the guys next to the HSS hire shop on Tower Bridge Road are excellent.
Zoe
Thursday 14 January 2016 6.42pm
Which bit of SE1 are you in? If it's nearer Waterloo then Hatfields bike shop is great. On your bike at Borough Market are also good. I've not used the one on TBR but people speak highly of it.
Thursday 14 January 2016 10.33pm
Balfe's Bikes are also great - several locations, including Kennington Road: https://www.facebook.com/Balfesbikes
Friday 15 January 2016 12.16pm
Thanks all.

I was hoping for an independent mechanic, but I'll drop it into a store this time.

Thanks for the recommendations
Friday 15 January 2016 1.11pm
lullylush wrote:
cant remember the name but the guys next to the HSS hire shop on Tower Bridge Road are excellent.

It's Machine (formerly Velodro) - independent business, excellent, I've used them for all servicing/repairs to my Brompton since they started up.
Friday 15 January 2016 7.26pm
Just as a note, I find it really interesting that someone like Balfe's bikes; who only has three outlets tips into a 'oh no, they're TOO successful'; a one man band did well and expanded to a shop, then to two outlets; then to three.

Why do we collectively only value individual success and have such a narrow definition of independents. Do we block Sally White's now she's extended from one coffee shop to two because that's something close to corporate. (I hope not, her cakes are scrumptious)...
Zoe
Saturday 16 January 2016 3.38pm
I think it's more that we misunderstood the original question. I didn't know there were people who worked as mechanics, outside of bike shops. I wouldn't even know where to start to look for someone like this!
Sunday 17 January 2016 12.11pm
Dr NipNip (http://www.nipnip.co.uk/) may fit the bill - they are a mobile bike mechanic service who come to you. According to their website they are based in SE1 so you could probably go to them, too.

They used to come by my old office and I once had my headset serviced. It was convenient not having to go to a bike shop and they did fix the problem for a reasonable price.

However for servicing these days I tend to go to Swift Cycles in Spitalfields. Always been pleased with the results and they do take a lot of care with your bike. Only problem is the workshop is often booked up months in advance.
Monday 18 January 2016 1.37pm
Can vouch for a few places mentioned, have used The London Bicycle Repair Shop in Hatfields & Machine on TBR and both have been fantastic.

Also, recently went to Tempo on borough high street, (just past the great suffolk street junction). It's both bike workshop and a nice café. Got some wheels built there, and couldn't be happier.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: