Right of way at Horselydown Stairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 15 January 2016 1.22pm
for 3 years i have been fighting anchor brewhouse owners and southwark council ,to keep acceess to the foreshore open 24hrs aday as it has been for the last 400years,the owners of the anchor brewhouse erected these gates without planning permission and then over the last previous year ,shut the gate and left them shut all weekend,when you asked them to open the gates your met with abuse ,the access was listed on the road list at southwark council and the sign that was erected by the council, both the sign and the listing have now been removed by southwark,who have taken the side of the owners of the building ,who they state should be able to lock these gates ,denying the the public access , except iif we ask their permission ,to gain access to our river.if anybody out there can help to prove this is apublic right of way and fight this disgusting trampling over rights .please contact peter finch at sailor1057@aol.com.if we dont find some help from someone soon this beautiful part of london,will only be accessable with the permission of these people who have shown clearly over the last three years that they dont want us the people of london walking under their building to access the river
Friday 15 January 2016 2.28pm
More information on the 'oldest stairs to The River Thames' here:

http://alondoninheritance.com/the-thames/horselydown-old-stairs/
AD
Friday 15 January 2016 4.10pm
The ramblers association may have expertise in this area.
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/report-a-path-or-access-problem.aspx
Alternatively, I have also found Cllr Anood to be really proactive. She helped me to get some lights fixed in front of Browns after I witnessed a mugging. A complicated mix of Port of London, Council, Developer ownership meant know one wanted to do anything.
Friday 15 January 2016 5.27pm
We had along discussion about this last summer - see
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/193196/page=1

James - could you append these latest messages to that string?

It's going to be very difficult to prove that it has ever been a public right of way.
Monday 18 January 2016 10.08am
These access points are important for safety. Remember the problems of river access at the time of the Marchioness disaster. In distant past have launched my kayak from those steps by the Brewhouse. Important to keep access open. Happy to support any action.
Wednesday 20 January 2016 5.15pm
I am going to try get a definitive response from Ramblers Association/ Southwark Council/ River Thames Society/ Port Of London Authority.
Is there anyone else I should contact?
I will also request freedom of information from Southwark regarding any requests for locking gate.
Wednesday 20 January 2016 7.19pm
The Waterman's Company will have something to say about it I should imagine.
Wednesday 20 January 2016 8.56pm
i live tooley and used to keep my kayak at my flat , so i use horsely stairs everyday,i dont know if you live locally , but last year the gates were locked, sometimes all weekend, make no mistake the people in these flats do not want 24hr access to the river and southwark council are backing them all the way,protest and petitions may be the only way forward ,to keep the access open, as it has been for over 400 years ,please also let me remind all those that have given up this fight ,THE GATES HAVE NO PLANNING PERMISSION.
Wednesday 20 January 2016 11.16pm
I fully support your efforts. But I heard it was the business adjoining the stairs that instigated the gate closure and not the flat owners?
Thursday 21 January 2016 10.34am
I have a map from 1755 that clearly shows the stairs as a continuation of Horselydown Lane but I don't know how to attach it to a message in the forum!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: