What's replacing Zucca?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 17 January 2016 3.35pm
Following the sad loss of Zucca on B'sey Street, does anyone know what's going to happen to the space? Has the money-grabbing landlord done a deal with a chain to replace our beloved independent restaurant?
Sunday 17 January 2016 3.47pm
The new owners of the apart-hotel are reconfiguring the building - including a restaurant and deli/cafe on the ground floor - planning application here:

http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9562662

Quote:
The existing building at 184-192 Bermondsey Street is in use as an aparthotel but is only partially complete, offering a low grade product for guests. A restaurant (A3) is located on the ground floor. The original planning permission also consented commercial (B1) and health and fitness (D2) floorspace over part of the ground floor and basement, however this was not completed by the previous owner and has never been in use.
The Applicant proposes to improve the existing building to reposition the aparthotel offer to attract extended stay business/corporate guests. To achieve this objective improved front/back of house and ancillary facilities for guests is essential. The Applicant also intends to fit-out and provide ground floor commercial B1 floorspace.

Quote:
184-192 Bermondsey Street consists of 101 aparthotel bedrooms within 10 minutes walk of More London addresses, where a clearly identified need for "extended-stay" hotels exists in the market (corporates such as PWC and EY are expected to be the main customers). We have the ability to launch a new brand in the market to increase the awareness of the sector and drive higher rated corporate business rather than short stay transient leisure business

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 16 March 2016 2.27pm
Have to be honest - I only moved into the area in April last year, and part of the charm was all of the independent places that were availible. I'm very concerned now to note that vacant spaces seem to be appearing more frequently and that due to the success of the area, the Landlords are pricing their business tenants out of the market.

Does anyone know of any other forum where we could do something about this? This little oasis of calm does not need franchise business to be a success.
jpm
Wednesday 16 March 2016 3.40pm
It's not unusual for a restaurant to be 'moved on' by their landlord. But it is unusual for a successful business to completely throw in the towel after something like this happens. It's hard to believe there was absolutely nowhere that Zucca could have located to - particularly given the name that they had built up.

I'd be really interested to know the full story about this.
Wednesday 16 March 2016 8.33pm
Zucca are taking a small break, and then looking to stay in the area. Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were, when we were having our farewell meal with them before Christmas.
Wednesday 16 March 2016 9.07pm
I also had this told at my last supper
Although I would have thought to keep brand name / loyal eaters some news of new location would be forthcoming
I'm hoping that the building work going on at Webber st (behind the coop) is them
- I can only hope
Friday 18 March 2016 11.51am
porkthegrill wrote:
Have to be honest - I only moved into the area in April last year, and part of the charm was all of the independent places that were availible. I'm very concerned now to note that vacant spaces seem to be appearing more frequently and that due to the success of the area, the Landlords are pricing their business tenants out of the market.
Does anyone know of any other forum where we could do something about this? This little oasis of calm does not need franchise business to be a success.

I agree, it's what made Bermondsey Street stand out and what gives it the community feel it is. Very alarming that the rents for these companies are being pushed so high and that they are being forced out. The last thing we'd want for B Street is a collection of estate agents, Starbucks , Pizza Express ...

Wish there was something we could do to help these local small businesses.
Friday 18 March 2016 3.46pm
lena21 wrote:
porkthegrill wrote:

I agree, it's what made Bermondsey Street stand out and what gives it the community feel it is. Very alarming that the rents for these companies are being pushed so high and that they are being forced out. The last thing we'd want for B Street is a collection of estate agents, Starbucks , Pizza Express ...

Wish there was something we could do to help these local small businesses.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on which hat you're wearing, that is market forces in action.
If restaurateurs and shopkeepers are forming lines around the block to buy or rent premises in areas, primarily because punters are also forming lines to spend their money in shops and restaurants in those areas, then landlords and property developers are going to notice, and take advantage of it, and want to extract their slice of the pie.
It is what makes the world go around,
If I had a shop, selling loaves of bread for 1.00, and I saw a queue forming at another shop, selling loaves at 2.00, I'd start charging 1.99, perhaps gouging my customers, but hopefully bringing the other shop's customers to my shop, and increasing my profits.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network